News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Specific DCC question

Started by Beatthe9ers, February 08, 2008, 10:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beatthe9ers

I'm trying to learn some of this stuff before I jump in.  I have no experience with DCC and very, very little experience with model trains at all.

I do not have a DCC system yet but am looking at the Digitraxx Zephyr.  I am also looking at a diesel loco to start off with.  Specifically, I have my eye on the HO BLI Blueline RSD-15 Duluth, Missabe and Iron Range diesel with sound and DCC ready (product number BLI-5094).  I assume the DCC ready means I will need to buy and install a decoder.

My preference would be to have the loco DCC equipped, but I can not seem to find a DM&IR model that is DCC equipped without a huge increase in price (the Blueline lists for $170 and I have found it for $130).

So the questions I have are...

1) I know for that price the sound is probably not that great, I am fine with that.  Will the sound work without a decoder?  How would that happen?

2) I assume when a loco is listed as DCC Ready it means I won't have to fiddle with wires and such, I will be able to just sort of plug something in?  Is that too simplistic?  I also assume I will need a decoder that can control sound.  How much will that cost (generally) and will I be able to install myself with my novice status?

I intend to post many other questions here.  I have been reading the forums and am very impressed with the quick and excellent responses.  Thanks in advance.

Yampa Bob

Hi 9ers
As you learned in your post on track, you will not get simple answers here.  So many modelers, all with different preferences.  That's good as you will get a lot of information, although some may not be totally accurate.  We are all learning.

The Bachmann EZ command is only 80 bucks and will give you some experience at first. 

I only buy DCC Equipped,  the quick way to go.  Bachmann will run on DC power right out of the box.

As for sound, to each his own.  Many like it, others hate it.  I tried one, but sent it back because it wasn't realistic sound.

Installing a dual function decoder is not for the beginner or the faint of heart.  You will need a fairly expensive controller capable of programing CVs (Configuration Variables)

These are short answers, others will be in to add much more than I can. Good luck.

Yampa Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Krongo

Hello Beatthe9ers,

This is my fist time on the board and first post. I am excited about the information on the boards as well.

I'll chime in on the DCC. I have a Bachmann DCC EZ Command and have been very pleased with DCC operation thus far. I have no recommendations on other brands as I am recently re-acquainted with the train hobby and have not explored anything beyond what's readily available at some local hobby stores. I would personally say DCC offers much more flexibility in your railroad operation. From what I've found thus far, you can't beat Bachmann's prices on DCC equipment.

I am curious about any responses to your inquiry about wiring locos for DCC. I just purchased a Bachmann GP38-2 that is "DCC Ready". I have a Bachmann DCC 8 plug unit I've previously purchased ready to hook up. However, after dismantling the loco, I've found nowhere to plug it in. I was expecting to see a little plug and away we'd go. No such luck. I know you can solder DCC conversions into DC units as well. I am guessing you need to remove the motor and motor cover to access the wires? If not, I have no clue how it's done. An economical way to get started is with a Bachmann DCC EZ Command and loco kit. I purchased my set up for around $100.00. The dealer sold me the DCC EZ Command (about $80.00) and a DCC loco for half price (around $21.00). I've been hooked ever since. The ability to run multiple locos in different directions is a hoot. I'm now obsessed with converting as many locos to DCC as possible. This has run around $50.00 at a local train store. Basically, $25.00 for the decoder and $25.00 for the install.

Sound can work without a decoder/DCC unit, just check the manufacturer's specs before purchase. I've found it depends on the company.

Something you may want to get your hands on is the 2008 Walthers Model Railroad HO Reference Book. You can garner a bunch of information in that book on pretty much anythong to do with HO trains and products. I'm sure there are other good sources of info but this seems to be pretty decent.

Sound units prices vary. My local hobby stores have some nice units in the $60-$90 range. Most of that is Digitrax products I believe. They sound satisfactory but I'm willing to bet the untis you looked may have better quality. I'm not all too familair with sound though.

It does become more difficult if you are looking for a specific railroad and locomotive type with the features you want. Usually, I'll find a unit I like but it's not DCC equipped. So then you have to calculate the additional investment of changing things over. Not to mention, I have had no luck in personally converting anything yet.

I hope a I helped a little. Like I said, I just got back into things and I'm not looking to break the bank just yet so most of my investments have been geared towards having fun but being economical. Model railroading has come a long way since my junky little Tyco "Silver Streak" days.

I look forward to hearing your feedback

Krongo

Yampa Bob

Here's a link to a site with a lot of information on DCC. 

http://www.tonystrains.com

I talked to them on the phone, they love helping beginners get started, and have some excellent PDF files for download, expecially one called "DCC for beginners".

I might add that DCC is not the "be all, do all" for everyone as it is being hyped to be.  Many experienced modelers still prefer the old reliable DC,  with block control for multiple locos.  I think Krongo's idea of buying the EZ Command/loco combo is a smart way to go. 

Bachmann has a 0-6-0 that I wanted but it was not DCC.  They have the same loco, DCC equipped with the EZ Command for only $125.  That is only $45 for a loco that would normally cost $100 by itself so equipped.  For diesel they have several that could be repainted if you are so inclined.

Bachmann will be releasing their 2008 catalog sometime this month.  It is only $10 and they pay postage.  It's all in color, and it will get your juices flowing.  Give them a call, it is by far the best catalog I have seen. 

For the best prices check out the following.  When you order from them, you have 30 days to return it for any reason whatever, no questions asked, even if you just change your mind and don't want the item.  If an item is defective when you get it, or within the 30 days, they will even send you a prepaid UPS label to return it, and pay the postage to send the replacement.   

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/listings/cat-u.html

For the combos, look in the "Power Supplies and Transformers" section under the Bachmann listing.

Yampa Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Krongo

Excellent info Yampa Bob.

Regarding the DC unit, I must admit I still have a liking for it. So to resolve that dilemma I run a separate track inside of my DCC layout and run a locomotive and my switches off of that transformer (Bachmann Magnum). It seems like the DC unit has a smoother operation to it. I have not tried hooking the DC transformer to the DCC EZ Command system yet. The directions say it should work. I am hopeful the transformer operates in the same manner after its hooked up and I give it a whirl.

Krongo

Santa Fe buff

DCC ready isn't my best topic, but I own two powered locos. with DCC ready. E-Z command has some cords- but I don't own one-I just heard that. But DCC makes the loco. at like a regular locomotive. I used a non-DCC loco. on a regular knob turn transformer I got with a Bachmann train kit, and I was able to make is go slow, but I wasn't able to go as slow. I guess it means that you can control your locomotive much easier- useful in model yards when your switching cars around. I'm newy too, but the advice I've learned was that you should find EVERY BIT of information. As for that sound loco. your buying, I depends on the brand or type of sound chip in there. You should talk to your hobby dealer about that, or if your online, you should be able to click on something that says "CONTACT US". You can call or e-mail them useing their info. I'm new- so check the stuff I said so you won't have any troulbe. ~Santa Fe buff~ "trying" to help people with model trains- I hope that's what I'm doing. have fun with it.   :)
- Joshua Bauer