News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Tunnel To The FPTP Layout.

Started by Shawmut Line Operation, January 20, 2008, 03:02:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawmut Line Operation

Hello Guys
Here is a look at the tunnel that I and the gang have been working on for the FPTP layout.  The tunnel is not yet finished yet as I still need to buy the portholes and Justin and Frank need to landscape the walls a little.  I also need to look for some buildings to put on top of the tunnel for a town.  I need to find a station for down under the tunnel.  After I get this whole tunnel thing done I can landscape around that and then start on adding a bit onto the other end of my layout for a round house.  Well here are some pics of the tunnel.  Enjoy. ;)

These are pics of what the area looked like before.  Since I was on a tight schedule of trying to get this layout done enough so I could take it to the train show I just put a hill area at that end of the layout.

Well since I was putting the tunnel in like it is in the instruction book for the layout that first 2 feet of plaster and news paper on the side of the layout had to go.

I started to cut cardboard and hot glue it together then the tunnel started to actually look like a tunnel.

Justin had got me more cardboard so I could start the road way that travels up from the station to the town.  B.T.W. That red truck is the Sanford and Son Salvage truck.  L.O.L.

Well I thought that I was done but after sticking the level on the top of the tunnel I noticed it was not level.  Well the last thing in my mind was having to go back to the drawing board.  Well after that I cut out more cardboard.

Well I and Frank soon had the dang thing level.  After leveling it though the top had become bigger.  If I don’t look to happy in the 3rd picture I ain’t.  That was just miserable trying to make that dang roof fit. :P

Soon the last tunnel wall was put up the 3 of us were done.

Well here is a look at the tunnel fully put together.  Now all I need to do is get the gang around another time again and we can start on part 2 of the project. :-\

You know I hope HenryBlue ends up like Percy did.  He always thinking he's better than me all the time.  If that isn't Percy who did something stupid its probably HenryBlue.

The Chaz Storm

Looks good so far Corrie, I can't wait to see how it turns out when it is done. :)

max (uk)

Any ideas on whats going on top of the tunnel. Its a big clear space you have there, prehaps somthing not railroad related could be installed. You have road access there aswell.

Shawmut Line Operation

There is to be a town on that top of that.  There is a road on the side that leads to the station. :D  So Guilford Guy what do you think? :-\
You know I hope HenryBlue ends up like Percy did.  He always thinking he's better than me all the time.  If that isn't Percy who did something stupid its probably HenryBlue.

Shawmut Line Operation

:D GOOD NEWS!!! :D More photos of what I have just done.  Let me know whatcha think. ;)

This was my first attempt to test the trains through.  The one part was a bit low for Toby so I had to cut some cardboard away.

Toby fits now. ;D

Measurements on the tunnel were needed for when I get the portholes.

I extended the table a little.

Thats what the tunnel looks like when the top is taken off.

I cut some wood and used some screws to hold the cardboard in place.

Anthony P

Shawmut Line Operation

Once I get everything in place.  Hey Guilford Guy you think you can find me a link to something that will show how I can get the wall to look like its made of stone? :)

Shawmut Line Operation

Shawmut Line Operation

Look!!! ;D  Updated photos!!! :D

I got some more plaster cloth and started on the hill.

Since I got them tunnel portholes I thought I should get the cardboard cut so I could put em in A.S.A.P..

I had to cut away some more of the landscaping to build the hill.

I painted the inside of the tunnel and around the portholes for when I want to start putting down the ground cover.

After cutting away some card board (and also cutting my finger :P) the tunnel portholes sliped into place just right.

The hill is pritty much done from here.  All I need to do is just go back over it with a brush and some plaster.

I took a brush and some plaster to fill in those gaps in the card board.  After that I let it set then painted it.

Start on the hill that will be running by the tunnel.  Look real close and you can sorta see the four wheeler trail.

Right here is the start of a highway I am putting in.  The rock area had to be pushed pack aways to allow the cars to pass.

I had to put some plaster cloth at the bottom of my road so that the cars would not look like they were coming down a hill in a hotwheels set. :P

Corrie can you finish this road for me?

Mike CT

That is quite a project Corrie.  It is really looking good. You also did an excellent job of taking pictures. 

This should be a good home for these Pittsburg and Shawmut SW-9's once I get them finished.

Your father said he was sending me the decals yesterday when I talked to him  I have a few more things to do.  Apply a gloss coat and some trim pieces. I also have to replace the one light that is not working.  Then apply the decals and they should be done.

Good to see a nice project
Uncle Mike CT

Shawmut Line Operation

Well everyone, more work has been done.  It’s starting to come together now. ;D

Remember I said about having to go over the plaster cloth with a paint brush and more plaster.  Well that’s what I did here.  Now it’s ready for painting.

I painted the plaster cloth by the river and then put the ground cover on it.  After that I sprayed it with glue to make a good stick.

I then put the detail on it after the first coat of paint was dry.  It looks better in front of you then it does in pictures.

I started painting the tunnel portholes so I could put em in place.

I put them in once I had put the smoke damage on and glued em together.

I painted the plaster after it had set.

I took and started on the highway.