News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Installing a decoder

Started by DrTrainMan, February 10, 2008, 06:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrTrainMan

Hey everyone! I just got my first Bachmann train (I am a beginner), the Acela Express, for HO. I have been using DC for years, and want to start using DCC. I have the EZ Command, and all I need now is a decoder to put in the Acela. What decoders would you recommend for a guy on a budget? Do the decoders plug right in? The Acela says it is DCC ready, so I am assuming there is a hole where I plug in the decoder. Is this too simple?

DrTrainMan 

James Hail

If the Train is DCC ready then there should be a socket to plug a wired and socketed decoder into.Keep in mind the decoder will need to support the required amp draw of the motor and lighting and also support the required function outputs for the light setup on the loco. And you might need to know if the lighting is LED or incandescent bulb to chose a proper decoder.

There are several decoders under $20-25 clams that would be shure to work....Sorry i do not have this engine and cannot advise further on its requirements.

Jim

Currently landscaping and ballasting a 4x10 HO.....using a NCE DCC PowerCab and Having a Blast.[move]

grumpy

I would go with the Bachman 4915 which will just plug into your loco. The price is about $14.00 . There should be instructions with your loco to show you how to open up the loco. Brain surgery it is not.
Don

Yampa Bob

I'm sure you read the EZ manual, don't we all?  There are instructions on programming user-installed decoders with a low voltage test track.

I only buy Bachmann DCC equipped locos, but I agree about the Bachmann decoder. I think by using that, it will be easier to program and be DC compatible, in case you want a DC section.

Good luck
Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Super Chief

I did it on Sunday with a older engine. Its easier than 123!

Santa Fe buff

- Joshua Bauer