News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum 2-10-0 More un-Russianed

Started by rogertra, February 13, 2008, 02:21:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

I've previously attempted to un-Russian the 2-10-0 but was never satisfied with the first attempt.  Here's No. 163 as she looked with the first un-Russianing.

Now here she is with a smaller sandbox and steam dome.  I've yet to run the sandpipes as I've run out of material, No. 32 black stranded wire.  They'll be added tomorrow.

Now if only I could fix that low slung cab....... stay tuned, you never know.

What do you think?  Better?  Worse?  No difference?  Who cares?

GN.2-6-8-0

IMHO she looks really good,the lowered steam/sand domes also makes the cab look much better...nice work.
Rocky Lives

r.cprmier

Roger;
Great work; greater inspiration!  I have two, and was wondering what I can do to get the Lenin-esque look completely eliminated; and you did it.

On the cab:  Greenway has a brass USRA cab you might be interested in.  I have used one on my "Fu Man Chu-chu" and it looks convincing.  I keep a couple on hand, so I just may look into that cab business too.
I also switched tenders for a couple of the consolidation tenders, as I have vanderbilt tenders on them now.  As I hard-wire my DCC (I use Tsunami anyway), I skip that adapter block in said tender-actually, I pitch it!  You're right:  The domes have to go!

RIch
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

SteamGene

Nice work, Roger.  My understanding is that the 1:1s made many changes to their Russians.  IIRC, when they were delivered they had an actual railing along the outside of the boiler walkways, instead of a single rail along the boiler. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

ta152h0

I don't want to throw sand in the sandbox but isn't the american decapod simply a 2-10-2 santa fe without the trailing pony and the russian required decorative paint job ? BTW, that is one hell of a nice job !

SteamGene

I believe that there were several classes of American Decapods.  I know that the PRR and the WM both had Decapods.  The WM had some Russian and at least one other much larger class.

Yes:  First built in 1867 by Norris Brothers for the Lehigh Valley.  The Santa Fe first appeared in 1903 on the AT&SF  (from steamlocomotive.com)
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

WoundedBear

Beautiful work.....I wish I could muster the courage to paint and weather a steamer.

Sid