Previous topic - Next topic

ossygobbin

this was posted on a yahoo group
is it true mr bachman

From info I have on another group I'm in [BSFO] Bachmann has decided to go
down a different route, because most modellers it seems just want to pull
apart and change the offerings from Bachmann. So Bachmann is going to start
producing parts only for various models and you will have to assemble them
yourself, this also solves the problem of models being damaged in transit.
For example the T boiler Shay you will be able to buy all the parts to
assemble it as a T boiler, or you can buy a different chassis frame motor,
boiler, cab etc. setup, that will enable you to build it up as a parallel
boiler version
This policy came about because Bachmann can't see the point of having to pay
a company in China assemble models, only to have them arrive in the US be
sold to modellers whom are just going to disassemble them commit general
mayhem on the models.
This information has been brought to you from the BSFO@ yahoogroups.com

ossygobbin

on checking i couldnt find such a group must be april 1st early :D

C.S.R.R. Manager

This sounds really questionable.  I don't think anyone knows exactly what is going on inside Bachmann, so this is probably just speculation.  My guess [and hope] is that Bachmann's release of the new Mogul pilots as a kit represents a new trend, to cater to the On30 Kitbashers.  Instead of making a new set of RTR moguls, they just release this one part, so that those of us who want a Mogul with a coupler on front can make our own.  The same thing applies to the freight car underframes.  But there do seem to be lots of On30 modelers who like their trains in mint condition, and I would expect Bachmann to continue making RTR trains for them.

Then again, I've spent lots of time taking a couple of Moguls apart, and it would have been so slick to have a Mogul in kit form, to simplify the bashing.  The Mogul would make a fairly simple kit.  But, think of opening the box of a 2-8-0 kit, with all the parts that are in that engine.  Yikes!

the Bach-man

Dear Ossy,
No truth to that one...
Have fun!
the Bach-man

David(UK)

BSFO = Bull S*** from Oz ( Australia ) :D
Regards
David(UK)
Rail Baron of Leeds

Woody Elmore

Ossy - a friend in the manufacturing business once told me that it is just as expensive to make kits as it is to make rtr. With kits you have to make sure all the parts are in the box plus you need to have instructions written and printed. Then you have to deal with the occasional kit with missing parts.

Incidentally, there is a large segment of this hobby who are tinkerers. It is great fun to swap parts on engines or change tenders. When I belonged to a club there was always the problem of two people building car kits with the same road number. I used to excell at changing reporting marks.

As for keeping trains in mint condition, we are dealing with plastic models not gold coins or automobiles.