News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Climax

Started by bigreds, February 12, 2008, 09:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon D. Miller

Mick,
The power transfer between trucks and locomotive is a rather simple fix.
It involves hard wiring.

If interested, contact me off net and I can provide the explaination with supporting pictures. 

E-mail is  jlsclw@aol.com

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

bigreds

well i finally got one.Found one in a shop for $199 NIB!!!!really happy now great engine.Gave up on waiting for a re-issue.So have all 3 types of  locos now. ;D ;D ;D

Jon D. Miller

bigreds,
Check your new Climax to see if it has this rear drive shaft.

As you can see, this drive shaft has a plastic end that will rotate on the shaft.  Originally the Climax had a one piece rear drive shaft.  Front and rear drive shafts connected to center gear box would have a tendency to put a strain on either drive train.  Result would be a broken universal joint or some other part of the drive system

The two piece drive shaft, if yours doesn't have it, is available from Bachmann.  Contact their Service Department.

Jon D. Miller

bigreds,
E-mail with pictures was sent yesterday with the Climax information.

JD

bigreds

Hi JD

Sorry can you resend the info for me my email is marteenus@hotmail.com
The climax has the new drive shaft.They are little works of art!!!!
Thanks
Martin

Jon D. Miller

Martin,
Sent the information, per your latest request, this morning.

JD

bigreds

Thanks JD
First class notes and pics will be doing this fix real soon.
Thanks again
Martin

RRartie

I fixed the pick-up problem.

When I was lubricating my Climax, I tested each wheel with leads from my power pack. I found that some wheels were not picking up power and I think that was leading to stalls. I investigated and found that the small springs behind the plungers that rub against the inside of the wheels were collapsed. These are not shown on the exploded view of my manual, but show in the picture on page 9 - just to the right back of the wheel) Those wheels were not making contact and were the ones that were "dead". I expanded the springs using the tip of a screw driver and reassempled the  the spring, plunger and ball bearing and stuffed it back in the truck assembly. It would probably have been better to replace the springs, but I didn't have any handy. I expect the heat treating of the spring material was not carried out right and the springs were soft. If you take yours apart be careful - there is a plunger, a ball bearing (BB size) and a spring and they fly all over.

Hope this helps.

Steve Stockham

The collapsing of the power pick-up springs is one of the main "wrinkles" that had to be addressed when the Climax first came out. I also had my springs collapse and tried to stretch them out to no avail. When I had my Climax fitted with an RCS r/c battery installation I no longer needed them but Dave Goodson recommended using the springs from Kadee couplers as replacements as the tension in the original ones that have collapsed will have been irrepairably weakened.