News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

36 ton vs 38 ton Shay

Started by geoff, February 13, 2008, 07:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geoff

If I am reading the posts correctly the trucks on the newer 38 ton Shay are quite an improvement over the trucks on the older 36 ton Shay? Is this correct? What other differences are there? I just purchased a Westside Lumber 38 ton Shay and I was wondering about the trucks? Also, are there  any other things I need to be concerned about or can I lube my Shay and start breaking it in?

Curmudgeon

The innards of the trucks are virtually idetical.
Motor, gears, axles, wheels, plus external parts are the same, like sideframes and brake beams.

Metal coupler mounts, ladders, steps, are upgrades.
The metal trucks (or, truck housings) tend to be less effective in muffling noise.

Unless you know what to look for, if cabs are swapped they are virtually identical.

Tom Lapointe

My 38-ton 2-truck Shay has been one of the most trouble-free ;D locomotives on my roster; all I've done to it is keep it lubed & convert it to DCC.

The older 36-tonners can be upgraded to the die-cast trucks (Bachmann P/N 88999), I've converted 2 of mine.  Last time I looked, they were available from Trainworld in NY for $109.   I personally have not noted much of a difference in noise on the die-cast vs. the older plastic trucks (not disputing you, Dave, just my own experience - "your mileage may vary"!).  ;)

Tom