News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Rivarossi Heisler & Spectrum 0-6-0T

Started by Thommo, February 12, 2008, 03:42:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thommo

Finally, my layout in progress took delivery of some new US steam power, one Rivarossi Heisler, and a Spectrum 0-6-0 tank switcher.  ;)

I am impressed with Rivarossi engine! Even though it "whines" when goes in higher speeds, I think this is normal, Shay is also noisy little loco! But details, and overall quality is IMO very, very good. I plan to put decoder in, probably no sound. But who knows?! ;D

Bachmann PRR switcher is also neat looking loco. It is much less noisy than Heisler, and behaves similar to Spec. GE 44-tonner, probably they have same el.motors?

When I put it in track, I noted that loco "wobbles" a bit to left and right while driving. After breaking in, I disassembled the wheels and checked it. Now it is much better, even though it still has some left-right movement while going. I know that prototype switchers without leading truck were limited to low speeds because of that, and it can be somewhat realistic, but I want to know if all Spectrum 0-6-0T's behaves like that?

Any comments? Thanks!

Mark Damien

G'Day Thommo,

The RR Heisler is a peach of a loco. I have two; one with over 100 hours & the other is just a babe with about 20 hours.

I've found they like to be well lubed - That is " A LITTLE OIL - OFTEN ! "

Remember these were not fast locos so if they complain, you may be going too fast.

Don't forget to keep your track & wheels clean - they get a bit fussy about that.

The Bachmann Switcher is a great little loco & everyone should have at least one....or two...or...
Even if the prototypes never existed, someone would have created Model Trains anyway.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Steams the Dream
Cheers.
Mark

TonyD

Mark is right, the geared engines, real or modeled, are ment to go very slow, with lots of oil. In most cases, not much faster than a man can walk. Again, real or models, they sound like they are trying to break speed records, while barely moving...As for the 0-6-0T, does it waddle when pulling cars? A heavy train may make it pull straight until broken in. Another fine little steamer- good luck with the both of them!
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

Thommo

Thanks on your posts, guys.

No, I am not trying to race my little loggers. But, I've read that prototype Heisler had higher max. speed than the Shay, and HO Heisler really has. I do not like to go to maximum speed with my models, watching them crawl is very nice! ;)

I wanted to point that both Shay and Heisler are very noisy locos compared to Spectrum rod models, for example. Probably high revolution gears and shafts cannot be silent. Somebody pointed that Shay is like a little sewing machine! :)

But, can somebody tell how the Shay sounds when equiped with sound decoder+speaker? How the real loco sound mixes with noise from the loco mechanism? ???

Yampa Bob

Beautiful locos, thanks for sharing them.

The "waddle like a duck" might be opposing drive wheels out of "quarter".  I had one doing that and had to give the wheels a little twist.  Right wheel should "lead" the left by 90 degrees,  and all wheels quartered the same, the latter being the most important.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

WoundedBear

Thommo

Thanks for the link, WB! Sounds very nice and interesting!

As I am from Croatia, Europe, unfortunatelly I cannot check in Cass or some similar "geared loco heaven" if it is close to real Shay! :D

WoundedBear

Thommo.....

Here is another resource for actual Shay sounds. Found this on Walthers' site.

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/302-60001

Sid

Thommo

8) Shay sounds audio CD! That freaky I am not! :D Thanks anyway!

As for 0-6-0, I've run it with a 6 or 7 cars for a hour or so, and it is much better now. It still "waddles" a bit, but I can live with that! ;)