News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Note to Wounded Bear

Started by the Bach-man, February 14, 2008, 08:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

Actually, most of his errors are in mechanics.  The major grammatical error is the run on sentence(s) - if it can be called a sentence since it makes little sense.  I'm begtting CHUG is between 12 and 14 years old.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

grumpy

My grandson is 14 . When you can read his writing his grammar is sure better most of it in this forum. With computers who needs to know how to write.
Don

Guilford Guy

hmmm, so us young uns are steotyped to spell badly?
Alex

SteamGene

GG,
Quote from: Guilford Guy on February 17, 2008, 12:43:40 AM
Were the four errors, not including the rather archaic dialect usage deliberate or intentional?  I'd say four errors in nine words is a bit excessive if unintended, wouldn't you?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Woody Elmore

Don - a computer is a tool - like an automobile or table saw. It cannot think, express ideas or compose sentences with grammatically correct syntax.

If your grandson writes well using a computer it is because he has been taught some of the basics of using the English language.

A big problem occuring today is the lack of emphasis on handwriting in schools. People feel that a word processor can replace handwriting. They forget that learning penmanship helps little children develop fine motor skills and that is helpful in doing things like working on models.

Guilford Guy

Quote from: SteamGene on February 17, 2008, 08:07:14 AM
GG,
Quote from: Guilford Guy on February 17, 2008, 12:43:40 AM
Were the four errors, not including the rather archaic dialect usage deliberate or intentional?  I'd say four errors in nine words is a bit excessive if unintended, wouldn't you?
Gene
Deliberate. At least you guys don't have to read my handwriting.  :)
Alex

SteamGene

GG, my high school Freshman English teacher commanded me to learn to type.  I did.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Beatle (TrainBrain)

Quote from: Guilford Guy on February 14, 2008, 10:02:29 PM
Quote from: CHUG on February 14, 2008, 09:52:53 PM
Mr bachman i hope your post dont scare him away from here and so forth. He knows more then mr knowitall about everything...and has no patients for nobody that dont...and that dont know how to read between the lines...and keeps everybody on there toes you see and other stories. Thanks.
Guess what, I am your daughter...

>FOOM< Right over my head.

Quote from: Woody Elmore on February 17, 2008, 08:54:25 AM
Don - a computer is a tool - like an automobile or table saw. It cannot think, express ideas or compose sentences with grammatically correct syntax.

In other words: computers make quick, accurate mistakes.

Internet All-Beatles radio: http://beatlesarama.com
All you need is love and trains
Ringo Starr: 6/28/08
SC&NY Status: Drawing board, but getting closer!
-Chris

grumpy

Computers don't make mistakes on their own . It is the attachment of someones brain via their fingertips that makes the errors.
Don ;)

TonyD

Isn't that the idea behind the old statement "garbage in, garbage out"? Worse than spelling and grammar, people bring up & use faulty info feed into the works years ago, are now just propagating it. Not correct, just... the only thing that comes up on google...sad situation huh?? I like the way these kids are scanning B&W shots of steam, feeding it into the web, some 'historical sites' "have photograghs going back to the beginings of digital camera technology"....big deal....
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Beatle (TrainBrain) on February 18, 2008, 05:49:25 PM
Quote from: Guilford Guy on February 14, 2008, 10:02:29 PM
Quote from: CHUG on February 14, 2008, 09:52:53 PM
Mr bachman i hope your post dont scare him away from here and so forth. He knows more then mr knowitall about everything...and has no patients for nobody that dont...and that dont know how to read between the lines...and keeps everybody on there toes you see and other stories. Thanks.
Guess what, I am your daughter...

>FOOM< Right over my head.

Quote from: Woody Elmore on February 17, 2008, 08:54:25 AM

In other words: computers make quick, accurate mistakes.

Computers do not make mistakes, the users do................
Pacific Northern