News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Wiring EZ track crossovers

Started by aweinstock, February 15, 2008, 10:13:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aweinstock

Would appreciate info on wiring the EZ track #6 crossovers for DC operation and when to plug in the wire that electrifies the frog. Is this for DCC only?
I am disappointed at the lack of info in the packaging or on Bachmann's website.
Thanks in advance for your input.
AW

Yampa Bob

I could be wrong, but I don't think the crossover frog is powered.  There should be a 3 wire cable that plugs into the slide switch, just like the turnouts. The slide switch requires a two wire cable to the AC side of your controller.

It's so simple that I guess they don't feel instructions are necessary, but there should at least be a small diagram. 

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

jaellis

From what I have found, the option to power the frog or not depends on whether or not you have probelms with short curcuits in DCC. If you are running DC I would say try it as it 'may' cut down on passenger car light flickering (but probably not).  As far as powering it.  As was stated, just plug it in, or, if you have multiple units you might need to run an AC accessory bus under the layout, cut off the plug and solder the wires to the bus.

aweinstock

Thanks. One more thing, do these new crossovers require any insulated joiners on the adjacent rails or are the built in gaps enough to  isolate the adjacent two mainlines from one another?
AW

Len

aweinstock,

Gaps are required in the rails and connections under the roadbed in order to isolate the two loops the crossover connects for independent DC operation.

The fellow with the portable Acela layout has 'how to' instructions on his website. The URL is scattered around the forum.

This issue has been around since the #6 crossovers were first release. So why Bachmann doesn't include this info in the box, or at leat on their own web site, is beyond me.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Yampa Bob

David, the link doesn't work at least for me.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

aweinstock

Hi David,
I have already seen your website and found it very informative. What is confusing is the fact that my #6 crossovers already have gaps cut in adjacent to the frogs. Is this a change over your crossovers? Should these function the same as those you recommend for DC operation without any rewiring as well? Also are any insulated joiners required in the adjacent mainline tracks to enable independent operation of the parallel main lines?
Sorry for all the questions but Bachmann instructions have not been forthcoming. I hope that you can help.
Thanks
Amnon

aweinstock

Mr. Bach-man can you offer any suggesttions?
Amnon

D.Harrison

rallygsc

Not being mean, but considering what these crossovers cost, Bachmann should have had a switch installed under the crossover for DC or DCC option,

it wouldn't be hard considering what's involved.

the track could be pre-insulated, then when you flip the switch at the bottom of the track it can be used in dc mode instead of dcc.

don't get me wrong, DCC is nice, but I really don't care for all of those bells and whistles, I like things simple, especially since I run a lot of older equipment,

I don't have an elaborate layout, 9 x 7 , and for it's size I don't think DCC is necessary,

I can see it on the huge basement layouts, but that's me.

Hey Bachmann  it's an easy idea

take care

George