News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Another GS-4 Daylight!

Started by Dr EMD, February 16, 2008, 09:09:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenp

Well here we go again, another "big steam" unique locomotive, to go along with the multitude of challangers, big boys, and K-4s. It seems like all these manufacturers treat this like they are selling "toys" rather than operating models, or at the very least, "collectables"!

I just looked at the MTH web site and the GS4 looks ok, but not great, I may be all wrong, but it seems to have some visual similarities to the less than perfect, (and far less expensive, AND DCC COMPATABLE), Bachmann GS4, particularly the trailing truck, just looks out of proportion. The ladders on the tender look VERY heavy..........I'm sure, if the BLI/PCM ever does come out, it will be a superior model. Top that off with my agreement with everyone about the rediculous "non dcc" command control system.............this model is not for me!

But let me say for the record, that I do model the SP, and I do own one older brass GS4. And for the record, personally, I feel it truely is the most beautiful steam locomotive of all time. Like most here, I wish Bachmenn would produce a spectrum version. That said, I would rather see something less unusual, like any Harriman 2-8-0, 4-6-2, 2-6-0, etc!

One thing that I must point out, however, while Mike Wolf does indeed seem to have more money than brains, and a stubborn streak a mile wide, when it come to his "superior" control system. He is the one that, single handedly, negotiated the deal with Union Pacific, that is allowing all of us to purchase models painted for UP, SP, (and all the others under their umbrella), at no additional cost.