News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Super Detailing

Started by Yampa Bob, February 15, 2008, 10:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yampa Bob

Sir Richie
I was describing the same thing you did in your second paragraph, but didn't know those fancy words like "risers" and "footer".  LOL

Thanks to some years in the precision optics business, and a jeweler friend, I have very teensy weensy screws, bolts and nuts.  All accessories such as snow plows, hopper extensions, etc gets bolted or screwed.  This comes from many years of attaching cowlings, nacelles and canopies on scale RC planes.  I never glue on what I can screw on.  Oh my , no matter how I phrase that it's bad LMAO...

I better shut up while I'm ahead.  I'm having one of those "open mouth insert foot" days....

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

r.cprmier

I better shut up while I'm ahead.  I'm having one of those "open mouth insert foot" days....

Mornin' Robert;
I Didn't know you were in politics...

The stirrups to which I infer are acetal plastic compound (in this case delrin) and as such, it is smooth-closed cellular material.  This means that no conventional glue will work worth squat.  I understand that there is a compatible adhesive for it.  I haven't seen hide nor hair of it.  As far as terminology goes, I have been exposed to that sort of thing over the years.  makes me no smarter than the next guy; only know some different words.

The only tiny things you will need is a bit and a reamer.  The reamers of that size are worth the purchase price.  If you waht to use screws and tiny bolts to assemble parts, that is fine.  My thing is detail and placement of same.  While I am no "scale-rule Richard", I do like to see something that is at least convincing and neatly done.  For me, that is a good part of the challenge this hobby can present.  Othes may find that to be gilding the lily, or a total drag, and that too, is fine.

At present, I am trying to blow through about ten of Steve Funaro's kits, as well as George Barrett's trucks.  I am dangling about five intermountain kits at the end of that tunnel.  Talk about a carrot...

I haven't done anything on the layout for a while; largely because I am uninspired.  What I need to do is see a really nice layout to get some ideas, as I have little or no imagination.  SOmetimes I thik I would be just as happy with a spur line off to some industry, a 44-tonner, and some well-built cars;  but old man ego spurs me on.  THis spring I am going back to chasing women.

Have a good one.

Sir Richie the rail snob.
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Yampa Bob

At my age, even if I could catch my wife, wouldn't know what to do with her.

I think I have a mood swing hangover from yesterday.  I have days when everything is just one big joke, and I find myself laughing all day and saying really stupid things.

After only a year in RR, I already have way too many cars and some have got to go. I had 50 hand picked cars, then a friend in Kansas sent me 30 he was thinning out.  They are all Con Cor and Kadee, but had plastic wheels and needed a little work.  Another friend here gave me a box of older cars he got at a garage sale for a couple bucks.  I got cars up to my XXXXX. 

I have 10 locos, and I'm saying "whoa".  What is it about us modelers that we can't be satisfied with one loco and a few cars?  Must be an addiction, a train junkie.

I'm really not picky about details on my cars other than ladders and steps. I'd rather be running than using a bunch of magnifiers to stick tiny pieces on cars.  I think one has to have a tremendous passion for detailing,  I see articles about all the precise work on the bottom of a box car.  I could care less what bottoms look like, it's the tops that count  (quit thinking of women Richie) Yup, it's a hangover.

Every one I've talked to is in the doldrums lately.  I'm trying to get my goats detailed, but just have no motivation. 

Bob

r.cprmier

Bob;
Winter+gas prices+the elections+bush++++++...

I am a detail hound, but only on my own stuff.  I couldn't care less what the other guy does with his stuff-it is his jing.   I will look at it, give him/her a compliment, and go on.

I have a rule of thumb acquired a while back.  It is that I don't want what I consider to be a lot of mediocre equipment on my layout.  You heard the expression "the Marines are looking for a few good men".  That and Thornton Wilder's thoughts about what he considers good.

You know, I look at it this way:  I am going to be here for a finite time.  I want to be happy.  I am making myself happy.  If the layout gets finished, good; if not, so what?!!  I build cars and modify just about every steamer I have.   That is good, no?  I am making myself happy.  I would lke to see everyone else here follow my example:  Do what makes you happy.  There is a lot of satisfaction in saying "I am happy with that". Now, I will go and watch Katie...and toss down a Bailey's.

Rich

Rich

grumpy

The only one who can and will meet your standards are you.
Don :-X

Yampa Bob

Rich
I'm sure glad you're happy. I wouldn't want to see you when you are unhappy LOL
Bob

r.cprmier

Bob;
I learned  long time ago that like other things, happiness comes from within; it is only yourself that will determine your life, and also the amount of time you are happy.  I prefer to be happy as much as possible.  I tried the other way...it didn't work out too well.  A self-made pat on the back and a self-directed "attaboy" can do wonders; much more than Bailey's.

Trains?  This hobby can be a lot of things to a lot of people; in a lot of cases, it is theraputic; in some, it is an obsession, etc etc.  I am no shrink, just a guy like most out here, and enjoy building my collection of engines, and cars for a lot of reasons.  Some are nostalgic, as in the two DL-109s that ran past Quincy station twice a week (that I knew of) in the late forties, in a very unique aluminum paint job  (Yep, they were New Haven).  Also, being able to see
articulateds while in Virginia area visiting, and much more  (I met Johnny Phillip Morris at South station in Boston once)...  Mostly, I just like creating for its own sake.  The layout is probably a secondary thing, if I were to sit back and analyze the whole, as I get a lot of satisfaction out of the building aspect, as I mentioned.   What slays me is that every time I hear a good jazz group with a Hammond B-3, I think of places like Dearborn station, or South station, etc.  Not sure why, but it couldn't hoirt...  To me, when I look at the twin draws across the Eastport River on my layout, I see something really neat-but at the same time, lacking in a lot of detail.  Somewhere betwixt the two is a point at which I would be satisfied.  Clutter and detail is what the scene lacks right now.  Well, retirement is looming large, so maybe then.  Until then, I will get a kick out of this hobby the ways I see fit, and hopt that it stays around a while.  This is the best time I have ever seen for model railroading and I hope the other people in it enjoy it as much as I do.

Sir Richie the Rail Snob

Rich
Rich

Yampa Bob

I thoroughly enjoy my trains also.  It really has become an obsession as you said.

I have noticed that I am starting to take a second look at my rolling stock, and becoming more aware of the finer details.  The guy sent me one Kadee box car that has incredible fine detail.  I can't imagine why he didn't want it.

Since I now have way too many cars, I am really scrutinizing them.  About 20 will be sent to my son, he don't give a hoot about detail as long as they have wheels.

Guess the detail bug has bit me.   I just like to tease you occasionally to see if you're alive and well.   I have a habit of rattling people's cages, sometime I get bit.

Maybe someday I can sign my name:

Bob the Snob

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Yampa Bob on February 20, 2008, 06:03:26 PM
I have 10 locos, and I'm saying "whoa".  What is it about us modelers that we can't be satisfied with one loco and a few cars?  Must be an addiction, a train junkie.

You can say that twice and mean it. How else does someone end up with 15 computer paper boxes and then some of rolling stock in a one-bedroom condo?  ;D

(Computer paper boxes make great storage for boxed rolling stock, BTW. They're not so big that they get real heavy when they're full.)

Yampa Bob

Rich:  "That is good YES"

Jeff:  I don't remember.

Bob