News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DC Voltage on Loco's

Started by Signalman, February 19, 2008, 10:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Signalman

G'day all, from down here in Australia. I am a proud owner of a Bachmann HO GP40 Diesel Loco - DCC Equipped (Union Pacific). Item No. 60301. At the moment I will be operating the loco on DC Voltage.

My question is this. What would be the maximum DC voltage that can be applied to this loco. I hope someone can help me.

Many thanks.

Col.

Atlantic Central

Nyloncol,

15-16 volts DC would be the maximum, but 13-14 would be a better top range.

Sheldon

rogertra

Whatever voltage your typical Aussie DC powerpack puts out should do.

Yampa Bob

G'day Col
Congratulations on your GP40.  I have 3 of the same part number, they run great.

I use a Spectrum Magnum pack for DC.  Using mine as an example, the pack is rated at 15 volts DC, which is "no load".   More important is the "VA" (volt-ampere) rating.

Label on mine states 10 VA.  Applying Ohm's law, divide the VA by the voltage gives you about .7 ampere.  This is sufficient to run 2 of your GPs at the same time. Actually under load, the available amperage can increase to about .8.  The protective circuit breaker  is overrated at 125 % so it will most likely be 1 amp rated.

Larger "booster" packs will have the same  voltage, but a higher VA, such as 45.  This means there are 3 amperes of current available, so you can run many more locos.  Stay with UL or ETL approved train power packs and you will have no problems.

When I first get a new loco, I like to run it with a few cars for about 30 minutes or so, at varying speeds.  My GPs were pretty slow out of the box, but now they are much faster.  I hooked up 30 cars to one of my GPs, and timed the speed at about 98 MPH scale. (156 KMH to you )

More than you asked for, but might be useful for future reference.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Jim Banner

Model locomotives are designed to slip their wheels if over powered.  If you see or hear wheel slip, reduce the voltage by turning down the speed control a bit.  You may also want to turn down the voltage if you find your locomotives flying off the track when they hit curves.

The recommended design voltage in H0 is 12 volts at the motor.  A few more volts out of the power pack to make up for track and pickup losses are fine.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.