News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Decoders problems

Started by MC, January 28, 2008, 09:02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MC

I recently purchased a couple Bachmann engines with sound and am having problems programming the addresses. I looked at the Digitrax web site and they recommend using a 1k ohm resistor between Prog A & B. Has anyone had the same problems with Bachmann decoders and if so did this resolve the problem?
Thanks
MC

Jim Banner

As you probably noticed on the Digitrax website, this solution applies ONLY to the DCS50 command station (the "Zephyr".)  And with the DCS50, it works.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

WoundedBear

Since replacing my EZC with a Prodigy Advanced 2, I stumbled across a little quirk the Bachmann decoders have.

They say the decoders support programming on the main, and do that just fine with the EZC.

However, when I try to change the address of a Bachmann decoder with the MRC unit, I find I need to put it onto the programming track to be successful. What's strange, is that all the other CV's in the Bmann chip can be done from the main.....it's only the addresses that gave me trouble.

Sid

Jim Banner

Sid, is it possible that reprogramming an address in OPs mode is locked out in your Prodigy?

WoundedBear

Jim....

Could be....still finding out everything the unit is capable of.

I'll RTFM a bit more and see what I can find.

Thanks,

Sid

MC

I am still looking to resolve my problem of programming my Bachmann engines using a Digitrax Super Chief. Can any one help me.
MC

Jim Banner

MC, if you have a DCS100 (the command station in the Super Chief) why don't you just program your Bachmann locomotives on your programming track?  Or at least program their addresses on it?

If you insist on changing addresses on the main, it can be done.  You use OPs mode, which lets you program one CV at a time.  So to change a four digit address, you start off by communicating with the decoder at its present 4 digit address.  Then you have to put a 2 digit address into CV1, then set CV29 for a 2 digit address.  Now you have to communicate with the decoder at its new 2 digit address.  You put the high byte of the new 4 digit address plus its offset into CV17 and put the low byte of the new 4 digit address into CV18.  Finally, you set CV29 for a four digit address.  At last, if you have hit all the keys correctly, your locomotive will run on its new 4 digit address.  But if you miss key once, you will likely not be able to pick up your locomotive on any of the addresses you have been using.  Changing a 2 digit address to a different 2 digit address is much simpler, but I cannot imagine anyone choosing to use 2 digit addresses for 4 digit locomotives when they have a Super Chief to work with!

An independent programming track is a deluxe feature that is supported by your DCS100 command station.  On the programming track, you select a programming mode (other than OPs mode), dial up or key in the new address, press enter, and when asked if you want 4 digit addressing turned on, hit yes.  All done.  The DT400 that comes as part of your Super Chief does all the conversions and offsets for you.  The best thing about the programming track (in my opinion) is that you can write to the decoder and read back from it without in any way affecting what is happening on the rest of the railway.  Try it.  You'll like it.

MC

Jim,
Thanks for the response. I would love to use the programming track since it worked well for all my other engines. From what I am told it doesn't provide enough voltage to program the Tsunamu decoders. It goes through the steps fine and gives me a good feedback but when I read the address back it shows address 255. The engine still runs at address 03 after several attempts to program.

My LOHS told me to use the main track since it would provide the necessary voltage. I have tried that process on both engines and it doesn't work. I am entering the 'ops'mode by pressing the programming key 4 times. Is this the correct process or should I also change the switch on the front of the DCS-100 to the op setting. I am afraid to mess with changing other CV's since I don't want to lose control of the engine if I hit a wrong key.

I am using a two digit address, could that be some of my problems? It is much simpler thats why I chose that direction. Are there any advantages to using 4 digits? I don't expect to ever have 9999 engines so I thought I would just use the last two digits of the engine number. Would appreciate you opinion on using 4-digits.

The LOHS also told me I could purchase the SoungTraxx PTB-100 to connect to the programming track which would provide the voltage needed. I really don't want to spend $60 for something I am not sure will help. They have lead me down the wrong track before and I am afraid they just want to sell me something.

Let me know what you think.

MC

Jim Banner

MC, some thoughts -

- leave the switch on the front of your DCS100 at RUN.

-To enter OPs mode programming, press the program key until you read "Po" on the screen of your DT400.  The other three modes (that you do not want just now) are Pg (Page mode, looks more like P9 on the screen) Ph (Physical mode) and Pd (Direct mode.)  As you repeatedly push the program key, the DT400 will keep cycling through these modes.  Four pushes is not a magic number.

- Changing a two digit address to another two digit address is much simpler than the 4 digit to 4 digit example I gave you.  This is because you need to change only one CV, namely CV1.
With your DT400 communicating with your locomotive on address 03, or whatever other 2 digit address it presently has, a typical sequence of key strokes would be as follows:

-press "Program" until you DT400 shows "Po" at the bottom of the screen.

-if display reads Address 2 = ?? then proceed.  If it reads Address 4 = ?? then press the right hand knob a couple of times until the display reads Address 2 = ??  If the display reads CV* = **, then rotate the right hand knob CCW until the display reads Address 2 = ??.  Address 2 is the 2 digit address, which is stored in CV1.  * as used above is any number.  Normally, the display will read Address 2 = ?? when you enter programming mode (any programming mode) but may vary depending on what you did in your last programming session.

- When the display show Address 2 = ??, key in the new 2 digit address.  Out of habit, I key in two digits, i.e. 08 for address 8, but I think you can key in just one digit if you want to.

- Press "ENTER". 

- When the message is complete, press "EXIT".

You should now be on the new two digit address.  If not, try the original two digit address.

I missed that it was a Tsunami decoder.  Depending on the size of your layout and what you have sitting on your other tracks, you might find it necessary to set up a separate programming track, connected to the track terminals of your DCS100.  So if the routine above does not work for you, disconnect the track output terminals of your DCS100 from the layout, connect them to a short programming track, and try again.  You would still use this programming track in OPs mode.

One last thought, does your Bachmann Tsunami decoder have the decoder lock function?   The full blown Tsunami uses CV15 and CV16 to lock the decoder so that nothing in the programming can be accidentally changed.  CV15 must equal CV16 if you want to change anything, if the lock function is turned on.  For the lock function to be turned on, the value of CV30 must be odd.  If CV30 contains an odd number and you want to turn the lock function off, just subtract 1 from the value and write the result back into CV30.  If you cannot read CV30 to verify the present contents, it is usually safe to write 00 to it as all the other values are normally zeros anyway.  As I said, this is for the Tsunami TSU-1000.  But before I went out and bought a programming booster,  I would try writing a 0 to CV15 and a 0 to CV16 (in OPs mode) and see what happens with my Bachmann Tsunami.  And it that didn't work, I would next write a 0 to CV30.  And only lastly would I consider buying a programming booster.

My opinion on 4 digit addressing?  The greatest thing since sliced bread!  For one thing, I have a lot of locomotives on my layout.  Many more than a railroad of its size could possibly need or support.  And a number of them have the same last two digits.  I have only a very few that have all four digits the same and so far have got away with either running them in basic consists or with having only one of the duplicates at a time on the layout.  Secondly, I have a number of UT-2 throttles and have friends with UT-2 throttles.  These are limited to two digits.  So I have reserved all but a special few of the two digit addresses for use with advanced consisting or occasionally universal consisting with a two digit phantom lead locomotive.  This way the UT-2 throttles can pick up these consists as required, without relying on someone with a DT400 to dispatch them first.  I particularly like the advanced consisting as I sometimes (often? always??) forget the consist numbers but can quickly take the locomotives out of an advanced consist by addressing them by their 4 digit numbers and resetting CV19.  Having said all that, I have a good friend who runs all his locomotives on two digit addresses and does just fine.  He has both two digit and four digit decoders installed, some of them 28 speed steps, some 128 speed steps.  But he likes of pick up everything with a two digit address and a default setting of 28 speed steps.  He says he finds it easier to remember what he is doing.  But that to me is one of the joys of DCC.  There are systems in a wide range of complexities and a mind boggling array of options so that almost everybody can find something to meet their needs and desires.     

MC

Jim,
I have tried everything except reprogramming CV 15 & 16. I believe I need a little more exposure to DCC before I mess up everything.
Thanks for the help. I may get around to trying it this weekend.
MC

MC

Jim,
Thanks for all the help. I changed over to 4 digits and they programmed fine in op's mode.
MC