News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Another GS-4 Daylight!

Started by Dr EMD, February 16, 2008, 09:09:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr EMD

;D
MTH announced their next locomotive (after their triplex and K-4). It's a Southern Pacific GS-4.
http://www.mthhotrains.com/news.asp

I see they will offer a de-streamlined version.

Can the HO market bear it?
Electro-Motive Historical Research
(Never employed by EMD at any time)

Atlantic Central

Mike Wolf has more money than brains. And here is another fine example of over saturation of stuff already on the market and/or planned by other manufacturers.

Mike, are you listening, you have now offerd three locos, and not one modeler I know has bought or will buy any of them. I know you think your control system is "superior" to everything else and you think that justifies your choices, but you are kidding yourself.

Just look at Broadway and Athearn, they are retreating from the all DCC, all sound position, let alone a proprietary system like you have. And my trains run on 12 volts not 16.

Sheldon

4449daylight

Over saturation? There is not one accurate SP GS-4 model out there in HO scale that is not brass. I have been waiting and waiting for someone to make a good GS-4, and I am some excited about this model. Finally, a model of 4449 I can run on my layout.

4449daylight

Oh yes, Precision Craft does say it will make a GS-4. I spoke to them in 2006, and they said it "was right around the corner". Kato just released a beautiful GS-4 in N scale, but that does not do me much good. Great news for the N scale guys though. ;D

Yampa Bob

Another MTH announcement?  Lasted about 5 minutes.

Counting down

Yampa
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

James Hail

Yea.............lets all run out and buy new DCC systems (MTH) and start over yet again with everything being UN compatible with ALL the rest of the worlds Dcc, Just to run 1 train.

This stuff will die its own Horrible death........and in the future when these locos and systems get split up from estate sales ect ..they will rot away because no one will have whats needed to run them.......Unlike standard DCC that will survive to become tomorrows classics......and still be runable on any basic DCC system.

Heck why don't they go ahead and make their own goofy hard to find track gauge/spacing  also that no store will stock, and
be shure no one can run the things.........

Currently landscaping and ballasting a 4x10 HO.....using a NCE DCC PowerCab and Having a Blast.[move]

Yampa Bob

Might as well get the rest of my nickel in before this thread is pulled.

Bachmann cares about the future of trains.  They have something for every taste and pocketbook.  I'm anxious to get their new 275 page catalog, last years was 219.  They are modelers serving modelers.

I don't even read the ads for other locos anymore, I have 10 now, all Bachmann.  They are all DCC equipped, but I'm still running them DC.  I have a choice.

Quality at a reasonable price, best warranty in the business.  Am I missing out on something?   Not that I've noticed. 

My eyes are old, but I believe it says "Bachmann Message Board" at the top.     

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

rains train

Very nice engine! I must get one! (Along with some passenger cars for it  :P)

Alex

This is K-10's Modle Trains, AKA...best place in the world!

RAM

I wonder if the GS6 will have the correct size of drivers?

Mark Damien

Bachmanns GS-4 is priced right, & that means anyone can get BIG Steam on their layout for a reasonable price. But it isn't Spectrum quality, & I have been spoiled by it.

It's a pity Bachmann didn't release it in Spectrum grade.
So, I'm going to wait for the BLi/PCM version.....whenever that will be.

Why do wolves bay at the moon?
maybe worried their GS-4's won't sell!

Even if the prototypes never existed, someone would have created Model Trains anyway.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Steams the Dream
Cheers.
Mark

Hoople

MTH's GS-4/6 works on DCC also, you just can't access all 29 functions. (Unless you have that NCE thing and its smart booster)

I'll probably get one, my bachmann one can't be converted to DCC without hardwiring stuff, and that my friend, I am not good at.
-Hoople-

Modeling UP, SP, and D&RGW in colorado between 1930 and 1960.

GIVE US HARRIMAN STEAMERS BACHMANN!

Beatle (TrainBrain)

I don't understand why everyone "strongly dislikes" M.T.H.'s locomotives. They run to near perfection. They smoke like there's no tommorrow, they run smooth, the sound is incredible...I don't get it!

Sure, their first runs have some flaws, but *newsflash* so does everyone else. If you want a "good one" wait for the second run, or the third, if it suits you.

I myself am waiting for the 2nd & 3rd run of the Triplexes before I get one, just in case. I heard there were some minor flaws with it, so I'll be patient, just like I'm being patient for Rapido's Turbotrain, which I know will be a GREAT model for sure.

P.S. I got a Bachmann Climax for my Birthday...I still can't figure out where my parents found it!

Internet All-Beatles radio: http://beatlesarama.com
All you need is love and trains
Ringo Starr: 6/28/08
SC&NY Status: Drawing board, but getting closer!
-Chris

SteamGene

Part of the problem with MTH is the owner.  Another problem is in some of their ads, which are insulting to say the least.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Beatle (TrainBrain)

Internet All-Beatles radio: http://beatlesarama.com
All you need is love and trains
Ringo Starr: 6/28/08
SC&NY Status: Drawing board, but getting closer!
-Chris

rallygsc

HI EVERYONE  ;D

I like MTH here and there, I used to have a lot of it on O Scale, but I have to agree with what some of you said.

Mike Wolf needs to listen to the people who are buying trains ofr their layouts,

there is a lot of neat engines and such that could be and should be replicated out there, but why flood the market with stuff that is already out there.

not too mention MTH is way over priced,

look at the K-4 pacific, Spectrum had one, then Broadway limited, then MTH,

I personally like the Spectrum and Broadway limited ones, I can get more for my $$$$ buying those than spending $400 for one MTH.

I am really glad spectrum brought out an affordable Berkshire, I like the Proto one, but price wise, I like the spectrum better,

I wander if Broadway limited and MTH will copy bachmann and make their versions of a Berkshire, LOL