News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Different Pistons

Started by FLYNAVY, February 18, 2008, 12:44:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLYNAVY

I would like to thank Bachmann for producing a large scale K-27 'Mudhen' at an affordable price with such detail.  Guys, I can't help it, I am going to ask about this one.  Has anyone attempted to rebuiled the pistons?

I was looking at pictures of Mudhens from #450 being delivered to Huckleberry Farm #454.  I was particularly looking at #461 when she was traded to The Rio Grande Southern.  She still had inside valve gears.  So the piston is one above another not the above cocked to the outside. 

Has anyone been BOLD enough to build a piston for an inside running gear?  OR!, does anyone have an idea how to 'kitbash' one of these Mudhens to inside running gear.  Like maybe using pistons from another manufacturer? 

Guys, this is really going to be fun as we get the 'bug' to modify the K-27.  I would not only like to thank Bachmann, I would also like to thank all of you who participate in this forum.   So please, give yourselves a pat on the back and please keep submitting your questions, comments, and concerns.

Fly Navy

Steve Stockham

Anything can be done with the K-27! Rod Hayward and Dave Fletcher have made 1:22.5 scale K-27's out of Bachmann 2-8-0's and they had Baker/Piliod valve gearing! I'm sure it's only a matter of time before someone does an outside slant (or is that inside? I never can keep them straight... ;)) There were also four that never saw Walchaert's valve gearing! Sooner or later...... ;D

Charlie Mutschler

Nos.463 and 464, the two surviving members of Class K-27 were part of the second group of piston valve rebuilds.  These are distinguished by the outward slanting cylinder blocks, as viewed from the front.  These were Nos. 452, 453, 455, 459, 462, 463, 464 - a total of seven locomotives.  The first four piston valve rebuilds, Nos. 454, 456, 458,and 461 had the inward slanting cylinder blocks when viewed from the front.  These were designed to utilize the Stephenson valve gear of the original slide valve rebuilds.  I have yet to SEE a photo of any of these four with Stephenson valve gear, as it seems they were rebuilt with Walshaerts valve gear within months.  The four that were never rebuilt with piston valves were Nos.450, 451,457, and 460.  And of course, ad delivered, all fifteen were Vauclain compounds, with different smoke boxes, stacks,wood pilots,and slope back tender tanks.  Happy rebuilds, one an all. 

Charlie Mutschler

Phil Stump

I think you should think about the effects of reversing the slant on the cylinders.[ at least ck it out ] there may be a hugh problem with clearance issues such as turn out mechanisms. bridges,turn tables,ect.