narrow gauge transportation of perishables?

Started by bob kaplan, February 18, 2008, 02:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob kaplan

Would someone tell me how an North Eastern U.S. narrow gauge line might have transported commodites such as milk, cheese, and uncooked meats? The time period could be anytime from the 1920 to the 1950 (if the line had lasted that long!!) From what i have read, even the EBT did not have reefers.  Perhaps it was the short distances involved and they were not necessary.
  Any info would be appreciated.   
    Thanks.
bob

Kevin Strong

Bob, you nailed it. The distances were short, so special handling wasn't necessary. Most narrow gauge railroads could be traveled end-to-end within two to three hours, so perishables such as milk and the like wouldn't be out of refrigeration long.

Later,

K

grumpy

If it was an extremely hot summer day the temperature could get pretty high in an enclosed freight car. A lot of foods would spoil extremely quickly under such conditions. They would used blocks of ice cut from the rivers during the winter. With proper storage an ice house full of ice would last until next winter. In the freight car they would use the blocks of ice to build a cold zone to keep perishables fresh . Fresh fruit and vegetables were very important.
Don 8)

Kevin Strong

Excellent point. The EBT did have an ice house at Orbisonia for such purposes up until the late 40s, if I recall. Many railroads also operated so-called "market cars," which essentially were box cars with end doors and a few windows cut in for better ventilation. These were commonly used for shipping agricultural products.

Later,

K

Hamish K

Would cars like the ON30 ventilated box cars (I know, Bachmann has no large scale equivelent) have been used?

Here in Australia (where it also gets hot) the Victorian Railways standard 30 inch gauge vans (equivelent of box cars) were louvered, I presume to increase ventilation. At least one private line had a "meat van" which was similar to the ventilated box cars with a grill over the door for ventilation.

Hamish

bob kaplan

Thanks all for the information.  Now i can "pretend" a little more realistically!! ;D
  bob