News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound decoder 4 Bachmann 80 Ton Shay

Started by hotrainlover, February 18, 2008, 02:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrainlover

I have decided to put a sound decoder in this unit.  I like the idea of the new "Sound Bug" by Soundtrax.  I am confused tho...  I see there is another 8 pin connector in the circuit board??  Mabey I am missing something?
Do I replace the WHOLE board in the unit?  Or just add a decoder with sound included?

Thanks,
Hotrainlover

hotrainlover

By the way,  the sound decoder is offered by Digitrax...

Sorry for the mistake.

toyman

The Digitrax Sound Bug is a sound only decoder and is designed to piggyback onto a 165 series Digitrax decoder. As there is not a lot of room in the shay, you might want to consider the Soundtraxx Micro Tsunami as a possibility. Here's a link to the specs: http://www.litchfieldstation.com/xcart/product.php?productid=999002769&cat=116&page=1 I would recommend the light steam version. If the above link is broken, you will have to cut-n-paste it

HTH,

Joe

hotrainlover

Toyman,
What speaker should I purchase with this sound decoder, to put in the Shay?  Is there a "Rule of thumb"  for this..

Thanks for all the help!

WoundedBear

I thought of trying a sound install into one of my Shays......then I found out Bachmann has announced HO DCC/Sound-Equipped Shay's for 2008. (Check Wathers' site)

I'm gonna wait and let them do the hard work. ;D

Sid