News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Heavy Mountain 4-8-2 Dissassembly

Started by toyman, February 18, 2008, 04:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toyman

Are there any dissassembly instructions available for taking a 4-8-2 heavy apart? I need to remove the boiler to change out the LED and make several other mods.

Thanks,

Joe

SteamGene

I'm almost positive the smokebox front comes off to get to the light.  Other than that, be careful. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

toyman

The smokebox front pulls off, that is not the issue. I need to lengthen the leads to the LED and that requires removing the boiler and probably the cab. I am hoping someone has done this before and can describe the steps. I modified a 2-10-0 by installing a 3mm golden white LED into the headlamp and allowing the leads to protrude out the back side of the smokebox front, where I used a two pin connector made from a machined pin header to attach to the LED. In the process I removed the light pipe that was factory installed. It sure is bright, but that can be controlled by a current dropping resistor in series with the LED.

Thanks,

Joe

James Hail

1.Pull drawbar screw
2.Pull both "rods" that are under the very front of the loco (smokebox) out from their holes in the cast body of the loco...
3 lift the cab up slightly then pull casting of the loco forward and off the drivetrain.

To remove the driver set intact ..remove the lead/trailing trucks and then the screws front and rear under them....that will pull the bottom driver plate assembly from the upper split frame/motor assembly.......

Jim
Currently landscaping and ballasting a 4x10 HO.....using a NCE DCC PowerCab and Having a Blast.[move]