My EMD FT-A fell unto the concrete floor of my garage

Started by The Old Man, February 18, 2008, 08:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Old Man

But it was OK.  I had to remove the shell and reattach the drive shaft and a couple of other parts had to be put back together.  The only part that broke is the right angle plastic part that goes from the metal body to the coupler.  What is that piece called?  Where can I get a new one?

jayl1

If it is the part that holds the coupler in place, it's called the "coupler pocket".  May be available from Bachmann.  IF it's that, you can also rig a Kadee coupler box to hold the coupler in place.

The Old Man

Is it by any chance the item on page 274 of the 2008 Walther's HO catalog?  At the top of the middle column, item 380-452.  It looks similar, but not exactly the same.

Also who has the best prices on Kadee #5 couplers.  Are these everyone's basic favorite?

jayl1

That's probably it - hard to tell from your description of the problem.  This part is by a different manufacturer so it would be a different design.  Kadee #5 couplers are probably the most used and should be available from any hobby shop (or mail order).  What manufacturer is the engine?  Bachmann made 2 types of F units - the white box "cheapie" and the Plus series.  According to the Kadee chart the white box uses a #37 and the plus uses a #452 if you use the original part.  Hope this helps.  If it is another brand the coupler may be different.
Jay

The Old Man

It's the one that comes in the Bachmann - Digital Commander Deluxe Set--if that helps.

jayl1

I don't have any specs on the DCC set - the photo looks like a #5 EZ coupler but I can't be sure.  You might want to call Bachmann Repairs in Philadelphia (use the 215 number - NOT the 800).  They may even have a part for you.  Good luck!

ta152h0

I had a similar problem and  i just bought a logging car kit and used the coupler for the locomotive and relegated the logging car to the end of a train. Now that i went DCC, the locomotive is now a Roundhouse Queen.

The Old Man

Quote from: jayl1 on February 19, 2008, 01:05:07 PM
I don't have any specs on the DCC set - the photo looks like a #5 EZ coupler but I can't be sure.  You might want to call Bachmann Repairs in Philadelphia (use the 215 number - NOT the 800).  They may even have a part for you.  Good luck!
Is that this number--215-533-1600?

jayl1

That was the number.  It has been said many times on this forum that the 800 number is rarely answered.  I would ask for thy repair/parts department - Bridget seems to be the manager.  Good luck!

The Old Man

Talked to Bachmann.  They are sending it and a new coupler.  Had out my credit card, but he said no charge.  Way to go Bachmann!  ;)