value of backmann dewitt clinton and John Bull

Started by jdedonato, February 19, 2008, 04:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdedonato

I have a dewitt clinton in box (box is worn) with item # 40-130. I could not find it on item# search. Is this one considered viontage or worth more than the one you can buy brand new? Curious of these trains hold value. I have a John Bull set as well in box (much better box condition)

Thanks in advance.

SteamGene

I'd buy a newer one before I'd buy an older one.  Nice looking.  Great history lesson.  Crappy motor in the early ones.  The newer ones probably benefit from new technology.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Conrail Quality

As a general rule of thumb, plastic HO models rarely apprechiate in value- quite the opposite in fact (Brass is a whole different story). There are a few individual exceptions, but that's usually when it is a model of an obscure prototype that is no longer produced. The Dewitt Clinton and John Bull don't fit this, so you can probably expect at the very most about half the retail price.

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

r0bert

bevernie

:DFor a really EXPERT analysis and opinion as concerning the value of virtually ANYTHING, it can be found on EBAY!! Of course, even there, you have to be careful, because there are sometimes collectors who just HAVE to have something and they'll pay more than it is worth!
                                                                                              THANX!!
                                                                                                Ernie
                                      8)                                                  Hendersonville, NC
www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com

James Hail

The new versions of these classics ARE much better.........Skewed pole armatures in the motors.

Lets em run more scale.(read SLOW)
Jim
Currently landscaping and ballasting a 4x10 HO.....using a NCE DCC PowerCab and Having a Blast.[move]

jayl1

Roger,
They are HO models of very early locomotives & passenger cars.
J

rogertra

Oh, you mean a 'Bachmann' 'Dewitt Clinton' and a 'John Bull'?

Because there's no such thing as a "backmann dewitt clinton and john bull"?

And "Yes", I'm being a smart arse.

ta152h0

rogertra

I make it quite clear that I'm a great fan of Bachmann Spectrum steam. 

I can't comment on Spectrum diesels as I don't own any.

I can comment on what is now known as the Bachmann "Standard" line, aka, "Botchmann".

SteamGene

Roger, the new Standard line is quite nice. I have one of their Kanawhas and two of the 0-6-0s and they are all fine runners and pullers.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

ta152h0

I was only commenting on your smarty pants comment. that is all.  Actually something i do when we have family gatherings. my mother has called me things in german I never heard before.

ta152h0

I have a John Bull that runs on Bachmann EZ track and i really enjoy watching the beast go round and round. fun to watch and imagine what it was like back when  I don't know what the dollar value is for I am passing it on to my descendants when the time comes..