News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

K27 Questions

Started by davidinno, February 18, 2008, 11:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidinno

Just spent the weekend playing with my K27.  An astounding model...my favorite RR purchase in close to 50 years of model railroading.  Muchas gracias, Bachmann.  Got a couple of questions though for the experts.

1. I find it hard to unplug the two sockets.  Lots of force means short life for electrical continuity.  Anybody got a tip on an easy way?  Or am I just pushing them together too hard?
2. Best way to lift the engine to set on tracks?  I've been holding it at the pilot and under the cab roof so as not to bust any detail under the frame, but this doesn't seem solid enough.

Thanks.

david

jimtyp

I also find the sockets very difficult to unplug.  I snipped off the tab locks, and that helped.  I also found if you don't push the plugs in all the way they are a little easier to pull back out.  Even with these two I still find it a bit difficult to pull the plug back out so I end up using a pair of needle nose pliers to pull them out.  I'm thinking of adding some sort of pull tab but haven't figured out how to put something on that won't break off or get in the way.

As far as how to handle the loco I too have the same question.  Currently I hold it at one end under the cab roof, as you do.  The other I grab under the smokebox but it's not the easiest as there is not much room and a little tight for my short fat fingers, but it's the best I've come up with.

I saw where someone developed a really nice carrying case and just left the tender attached all the time.

Jon D. Miller

Here's a link to a article that contains pictures and limited information on a carrier for the K-27.

http://www.grblogs.com/index.php?blog=4&title=bachmann-k-27&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Just scroll down through the article and you'll come to a section that pictures the carrier.

There is also a article titled Built A Carrier.  It shows more pictures and contains a Bill of Materials.  This article is further down in the GRBLOG.

Everytime the tender is disconnected from the locomotive there is a risk of pulling/breaking wires.  Why take that chance?  Use a carrier.

Best way to pick the K-27 up is with fingers under the front pilot and the other hand with fingers inside the cab.  Would not recommend just lifting on the back edge of the cab roof. 

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Phil Stump

Untill I installed my snow plow I was able to get two fingers under the smoke box front and the other hand inside the cab and reach the front where it felt pretty solid. Not sure what ai am going to do now. Been thinking about a carrier. As for the plugs I lube them and wiggle them side to side while holding the release catch down. Getting easier all the time.

davidinno

Thanks all for productive responses.  I need to build myself a carrier/display unit.