News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

What happens to the repaired engines??

Started by sparkyjay31, February 20, 2008, 10:20:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparkyjay31

Where do they go?  Are they available anywhere for resale?
Southern New Hampshire around 1920 in HO
NCE Power Cab DCC
Long live B&M steam!

Atlantic Central

They are in a great black hole, somewhere in the city of brotherly love. I have asked before about obtaining them for a parts resale business or department, no reply.

My request must have went to the same black hole. Lee are you listening?

Sheldon

sparkyjay31

There has got to be a market for these!!! :o
Southern New Hampshire around 1920 in HO
NCE Power Cab DCC
Long live B&M steam!

jayl1

I believe it has been said before on this forum that parts from the returns are used to fix other returns.

Atlantic Central

They replace WAY more than they repair, so there has to be a surplus of duds somewhere that could supply many of the parts that many of us would like to buy for kit bashing. But yet we are told over and over that the Chineese fathers will not send parts and no one is willing to let the duds be stripped and sold for parts.

Sheldon

James Hail

Just goes to show you how dirt cheap these locos are to make ......Just send em a new one........cheaper than spending a few hours fixing one.

They probably are destroyed........They may be kept off the streets for fear of them back dooring the new sales market, Or coming in again as a warranty item......(buy a junker send it back in with $25 and save $100 off that new loco price.)

Or they simply see no profit to be had in the basher dept.

Jim

Currently landscaping and ballasting a 4x10 HO.....using a NCE DCC PowerCab and Having a Blast.[move]

Atlantic Central

Jim,

You are right in many ways, but the cost of repair vs replacement is true of many things. How much does the average loco sell for? How much does any skilled American worker who would fix them make? After the company pays his salery and taxes, unemployment insurance, health care, etc., you can't hardly hire anyone in the US for less than about $35.00 cost. If a loco sells for $200.00 retail, wholsale is less than half of that. So a loco that takes three hours to fix is better off repalced.

Sell me the duds for pennies rather than throw thenm out, let me be the Bachmann parts depot.

Sheldon

bevernie

:DA few years ago, a friend told me that the repairman is a foriegner (Chinese??) who doesn't speak a word of English, and everything sent in for "repairs" is just tossed, and a replacement is sent out. When you are told that your unit is being replaced, you can request a roadname change, or even the type of loco that it is, all depending on what is available at that specific time, which is why I requested that an up-to-date and current catalog or list be available to those answering the phone in CS in another thread. Because of some of the comments made in that thread, I simply abolished it and took it and all comments off this board, but not before I was assured that Mr. B was aware of and would look into that possibility!. For a few more dollars, you can even upgrade it to a SPECTRUM! I'm not sure, but you could probably upgrade a non-DCC to a DCC!
                                     8)                                THANX!!
                                                                                                                                                                                                  Ernie   
                                                                 Hendersonville,NC                         
www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com

Yampa Bob

Time is money.  It was true in the past and even more so today. How much is a replaced loco worth in parts salvage value?  I might pay $10 for one if it still had parts I could use.

I have 3 Connies, 2 are active on my layout, the third is still in the box for parts scavenging.  I run it once in a while to keep it limber, then back on the shelf. I gave up trying to find used Bachmann locos for parts.  Haven't needed any parts yet, having spares is just old habit.   

My steamers are fine tuned and customized, I don't want them replaced, for that matter even touched by another technician. 

I consider my diesels pretty much disposable.  At $40 apiece they aren't worth the postage plus replacement fee to send them back after I run them into the ground.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Guilford Guy

Alex

bevernie

;)Yampa Bob, you may read these notes, but you don't take them to heart; it's doubtful that you fully understand what I meant in an earlier thread when I said, directly to you, "HANG IT IN YOUR FLOPPING EAR!" You are the only one who takes the comments that I make and twists them to his own liking. Are you a Bible translator? (They tend to do that, too!)
                                                                                         THANX!!
                                                                                            Ernie
                                                                                 Hendersonville, NC
     P.S.
     Bob, if your patience, or whatever, is wearing a bit thin, and you'd like to discuss it personally, you are welcome to come over and do so. I've been told that I'm a great "patience fattener"!
                                                                                             ECD
www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com

Yampa Bob

Gomer Pyle used to say "Be nice to me and I'll be nice to you, treat me mean and I'll ignore  you".

I wasn't nice to you so you may ignore me, and I will do likewise.

Yampa
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: James Hail on February 20, 2008, 05:03:07 PM
Just goes to show you how dirt cheap these locos are to make ......Just send em a new one........cheaper than spending a few hours fixing one.

They probably are destroyed........They may be kept off the streets for fear of them back dooring the new sales market, Or coming in again as a warranty item......(buy a junker send it back in with $25 and save $100 off that new loco price.)

Or they simply see no profit to be had in the basher dept.

Perhaps the company could mark the return engines in such a way as to identifiy it as a reject and only good for parts. Did not AHM sell Riverossi parts in a grab bag years ago?

Jim

Pacific Northern

jayl1

drhone - AHM - now IHC - did have occasional Saturday clearance sales many years ago at their Philadelphia headquarters.  I remember driving to a few of them when I lived in PA - great deals - most engines had problems BUT parts were available from AHM.  I remember buying a Heisler without a cab roof for $20.  Add a few $ for a part.  She is still running today.

ta152h0

There was a listing recently on ebay for 45 engines, unknown condition. I would guess to get the electronics, they myght just forego unscrewing the bodies and apply hammer.