News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Stand alone programmer?

Started by TomKat, February 20, 2008, 07:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomKat

Hey Bachmann, If I want to fine tune my DCC locos, what brand or type of stand alone programmer does Bachmann Trains recommend?~TomKat
Nothing Like it in the World==============#====

Jim Banner

The new Bachmann Dynamis sounds like it would do the job and provide a command station/booster c/w wireless throttle to boot.  If you have not looked into it yet, click on the link below:
http://www.dynamisdcc.com/about.php?lang=en

My personal preference is a computer running Decoder Pro, but that too requires a command station to communicate with the decoders.  I am not sure if there is an interface available yet to connect Decoder Pro to the Dynamis, but suspect someone will be looking into developing one.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

WoundedBear

There was talk of Precision Craft's DCMaster having some success. Maybe someone else has tried one of these units?

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,52.0.html

Sid

TomKat

Gentlemen, thanks for your input. The GP-40 I recently purchased runs ok on DC, but I would like to fine tune it a little for my DCC layout. Thanks again. If you have anymore input, I will check in now & again.~TomKat

Yampa Bob

Tomkat
You didn't say what brand you have, I'm assuming Bachmann since you came here.

I have 2 GP40 and 2 GP35.  On DCC track, I have yet to see anything that needs fine tuning.  Are the tweaks you are considering worth the price of a high end controller?

Just a thought, it's your money.  Adjusting CVs is not a walk in the park, of course the manufacturers stress how easy it is, they want to sell their stuff.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

TomKat

YB, in regards to your inquiry, yes my locos are Bachmann. Really like their stuff. I also have the E-Z Command running in my setup. But I have over 26 years as an electronic technician, so working with "CV's" is a normal day in the shop for me. The main reason though, is that there is a lot more control concerning not just the operation of the engine, but other things such as sound, fine tuning a consist to a 'T', not to mention bringing old locos up to DCC by installing decoders. For that last reason alone, one should have the capability to install & program their own decoders. Besides, it seems like the thing to do!~ TomKat

TomKat

Jim, thanks for the link to Dynamis! I like what I see, but there's a train show coming up and I want to see it operate first hand. Also the site showed "sold out/waiting for delivery" so I have some time to research and read. Thanks again for your knowledge and input.~TomKat

Yampa Bob

TomKat
Just checking.  So many people are jumping into DCC with no experience. I have an extensive electronic background also, but limited digital.

I like my EZ Command, but have also thought of upgrading.  Since I don't want wireless, guess my second choice would be NCE Power Cab.  Life is so full of choices, but at my age it is getting more difficult.   If I live long enough, there will probably be a time when I will move up also, as my modeling uses consists a lot.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

WoundedBear

Bob....

Have a serious look at MRC's Prodigy Advanced Squared. My son got me the "wired" version for Xmas......3.5 amps outta the box.....no added booster needed. And this thing is VERY user friendly.

Sid

TomKat

YB, yeah I have electronic experience, but, like you, it didn't start out digital. That came later. But don't be discouraged by the fact that it IS digital. Just remember, it's still a machine. Troubleshooting is still the same, a fault can be isolated and so forth. Just apply old school and new school will seem like kindergarten! HA! I make it sound easy, don't I? Ah well, the funs in runnin' 'em. When they break, well we can all lose our religion. Now to change the subject a little, I've read somewhere in here that you have GPS experience. Cool! I install Trimble Auto Grade systems for a living now. Started on my own 'bout 4 years back. Love the stuff(it's MOSTLY digital,HA!) Still they can throw fits like an old woman throws skillets. We'll have to chat on this subject again.~TomKat