News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Small Turntable Needed

Started by douglas, February 21, 2008, 12:37:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

douglas

I am planning a very small layout; I need a turntabld 5" dia. at the most (layout is on a  43x10" shelf) and there seem to be few if any built-ups/kits for a length this small.

Scratchbuilding is a last resort, if anyone could point me to a small commercially made turntable for N, that would be great. I am not an experienced modeller, and don't want to take on anything too complicated.

fieromike

Quote from: xxxtmanxxx on February 21, 2008, 12:37:30 AM
I am planning a very small layout; I need a turntabld 5" dia. at the most (layout is on a  43x10" shelf) and there seem to be few if any built-ups/kits for a length this small.

Scratchbuilding is a last resort, if anyone could point me to a small commercially made turntable for N, that would be great. I am not an experienced modeller, and don't want to take on anything too complicated.

Peco makes one that is just under 6" dia. as seen here:
http://www.hobbymasters.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3156

There is at least one currently on "the auction site".

Mike

hobo

You are trying to model a very small turntable.  I understand that you are trying to fit it into your shelf layout but it is going to consume a great deal of space.

A 5" turn turntable would represent 67'.  A 6" turntable such as the Peco is roughly 80'.  Before you spend alot of money or time I would compare your current engines to a 5" section of straight track. 

Remember the bridge in the turntable rotates, so you will need clearance on each end to be able to rotate the bridge.  You will also need space around the turntable to sink the pit and run tracks.  Not to mention a roundhouse, coaling tower, ash pit, water tower, etc...

If you are only running small motive power, swithers or older 4-4-0 type engines then you may be able to get away with such a small turntable, but modern steam and early diesal will probably require a 9 - 10" bridge.

Russell

GlennW

The Peco is the smallest RTR rail that I know of. The Atlas one is 7.5". Both Walthers TT's are longer.