News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Parts ordering

Started by Geezer, February 21, 2008, 11:17:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geezer

Hello -
Working on a conversion project, and need to know a couple things.
1: The chassis I am  using is DCC equipped and has factory installed
    LED's.
Can I replace the LED's with 12 - 16v GOW bulbs without a meltdown
of the DCC board?

2: Assuming that the LED's are polarized (+ -)(- +) - is there a certain kind that I have to order?

Thanks in advance,
Geezer
???

jpipkin

Geezer,

I thought you wanted to replace the LED's with 1.5 volt bulds.

Jim

Geezer

Jim - I have had so much response to this question, I got totally lost.
???
So, I have decided just to leave it as is, and  go with the LED's as is.

My main reason was that (on my railroad) I figured that the yellow glow from the bulbs would be better suited to the engine that I am working on.

Also, I wanted to change the lights to the old fashioned "Box" type rather than the "round" electric light.

I will post some pictures as soon as I get it together. Thanks again for all the help.

Geezer

kenruof

Geezer,

Mini Electronics has "Yellow Glow" LED which I have used as a replacment for the B-man yellow LEDs. They give a much better steam era head light glow that the really yellow B-man ones.

Ken

ole

Geezer, It always helps when you state why you want to do something and in your case this is very true.
To get rid of the pure white of those LEDs, get down to the hobby store and buy a bottle of Tamiya Color x-26, Clear Orange. Dilute a drop or with the same amount of isopropyl alcohol and 'paint' the LED or even the lens. You can vary the dilution and the number of coats to get shade of light that suits you.
Lee in Tucson
Owyhee River & Western RR, a division of the C&S - Nevada