News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

i need some help

Started by HOplasserem80c, February 22, 2007, 08:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOplasserem80c

i am looking for the name of a diesel.i will ezsplain it as best as i can.i am doing this because i want it in HO and it was on a roundhouse old time kit.it looks like a box type diesel it has wires on the top.i guess you could say it looks like the B&0 #1000 the first diesel locomotive.
looks kinda like this but not exactly
http://www.psrm.org/history/timeline/cnj-1000.jpg

thanks 4 any help
                                                                                      HOP (st.louis guy)

Nigel

Alco/GE/Ingersol-Rand built it.

The MDC/Roundhouse model was sort of based on it, but the model is only a fair representation.  They show up on e-bay from time to time.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

HOplasserem80c

is that the exact name? it is kinda odd  ;D

Dr EMD

It's commonly known as a box cab diesel. MDC/Roundhouse produced it in plastic (with a heavy metal frame. The HO model sounded like a Warning Blender (or coffee grinder to us pre-Starbuck generation).

Horizon Hobby brought MDC and folded their pre WWII product as Roundhouse and retooling their modern stuff under Athearn. Maybe Roundhouse will rework the box cab and reissue it. Meanwhile mine is in pieces as I'm trying to find a way to install a can motor and a better flywheel.  :(
Electro-Motive Historical Research
(Never employed by EMD at any time)

HOplasserem80c

can some one sell me theirs? but it has to be together and it has to run

lanny

The first AGEIR was, as has been mentioned called a 'box cab'. The MDC is a model of the 60 ton box cab which had one motor that could output about 300-360 HP. Then they developed a larger version with two motors, doulbing the horsepower and those were called 100 ton box cabs. I don't think any company other than brass imports has ever made the 100 ton version.

The reason for the strange name is that Alco, GE, and Ingersoll-Rand, (AGEIR) all worked together to create this first production diesel back in the early 30s or maybe even the late 20s? The future demise of wonderful, mighty, iron horse began very early!

I have an old MDC box cab (in good, like new condition) that I would be be willing part with ... but I need to make sure it's running well. I was going to try and 'kit bash' an ICRR 100 ton box cab from it (the trucks are the same and pretty well detailed) ... but don't want to tackle cutting into the MDC metal chassis and other necessary gearing/mechanical work to create the necessary power supply for the longer body. Contact me via my eMail, offline, if you are interested.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

traindude109

Quote from: HOplasserem80c on February 22, 2007, 09:30:03 PM
can some one sell me theirs? but it has to be together and it has to run

Would it not be easier to buy one new? Or check ebay instead of keeping on asking people to sell you their trains?  ???
Matt

Boulder Creek and Western Railroad (G scale 1:20.3)

HOplasserem80c

they don't have any on ebay,i have checked. And yes i am intrested but please be sure the engine runs.

brad

I had one, worked on it to get it to run smoothly and quietly, never did, so I sold it. Keep watching e-bay, they do turn up. I'd like another one, although I would probably put it on a B-mann 40 ton centre cab chassis.

brad
I drempt, I planned, I'm building

CJCrescent

FWIW, the "kit" name is a little misleading. IIRC the only parts that has to be assembled are the details on the body, and maybe mounting the motor and flywheel, which was easily done with a screwdriver. They were pretty close to what we used to call a "shake the box kit", meaning that the kit was so easy to build that if you "shook the box" it would almost assemble itself.
Keep it Between the Rails
Carey
Alabama Central Railway

HOplasserem80c

yes but what are those things on the front

Ralph-On30

That unit was made as a Track Cleaner.

The things on each end,

are the cleaning brushes.

HOplasserem80c

ok i need one of those. cool thanks for everyones help