News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Picture of my bluff

Started by rocknblues, April 24, 2008, 07:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rocknblues

Here is a picture of my pink foam mountain, actually its a bluff, but in Wisconsin its a mountain. I still have trees to add, so I am not quite done. This is my first attempt, and I think it turned out quite well.

rock :)

prebres

Paul M.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Yampa Bob

Hi Rock
Here in Colorado we would call that a "pebble"   :D  Just kidding.

Good job on the carving and coloring, looks very realistic.

Harold (Hminky) breaks foam into jagged pieces for terrain, might give you some more ideas.

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/

I've been trying to catch up on reading his site, but he adds stuff faster than I can read.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

very nicely done. I thought the thread said picture of you in the buff ;D

rocknblues

Thank you all for taking your time to look and your input. And thank you for the link Yampa Bob, what a great site. I am working on a small river, and have been experimenting with that glossy medium he uses. I was shocked to see him using it also for water. So I may be on the right track (no pun intended) for that too. Thanks again - rock

djp

Good grief man, how long did you take to make that??? WOW, i am awed. What a piece of work.
Get Off My Train !!!

PRRThomas11

Thats insane. Cool. :o (Insane meaning very cool)

What is going to be the whole theme of you layout? What else is going to go on it?
PRRThomas11- "The Standard Railfan of the World" 

r0bert

Quote from: rocknblues on April 24, 2008, 07:44:35 PM
Here is a picture of my pink foam mountain, actually its a bluff, but in Wisconsin its a mountain. I still have trees to add, so I am not quite done. This is my first attempt, and I think it turned out quite well.

you have a fractured tag in your post causing the extra wide post

rocknblues

I used Liquid Nails to glue the 2'' thick foam pieces together so it is one large block. Then after the glue dried, I took out my filet knife and started slashing the crevices in the foam. I coated it with a product I bought at Menard's its a store like Lowe's or Home Depot. The product is Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty. Its a powder you mix with water to the consistency you like. I started out with a really thin watery coat, let it dry, and then dabbed areas with thicker coat to cover the seams of the foam. When this stuff dries, it is a yellowish color, so I just dabbed in some brown colors of watered down tempra paint, and then sprayed it with black tempra paint thinned out with water. I did this a couple of times adding just a drop or two more paint added to the water. After it dried I sprayed it with white glue and water mixture to set the paint. Then I added the Woodland Scenics ground cover. Total time put into the bluff was only a few hours. Because of drying time, thinking time (LOL), it really didn't take long at all. I had some good information from the Woodland Scenics Manual, Steam Gene, and a few others as well. It took longer to take the first step to start painting it, I was apprehensive about screwing it up. But I don't think you can if you follow the steps from Woodland Scenics. I plan on putting in a Train Station on opposite end of layout, with a side rail. I have a small river thats almost done with a Truss Bridge going across it that I built. I will have a small business district down by the Train Station. I am going with a late 1950's, early 60's era theme. I am trying to make as much of my scenery homemade as possible. I made two birch trees today and put them on the bluff, many more trees to make. I am using pieces of shrub from my yard for trunks, and using Woodland Scenics for foilage, painting the trunks white and black like a white birch. Also made some black spruce trees out of very small pine cones. I will put up more pics when I get more scenery done. I still have track to lay as well. My goal is to never finish LOL. Thank you very much for your compliments. - rock

TrampTrader

Hi Rock

Great job on that bluff.  Thanks for showing us the photo of you work.

Pete