News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Tank Cars

Started by glennk28, February 24, 2008, 08:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennk28

I finally got one of my tank cars--the "narrow frame"- UTLX--there are a bunch of "Giblets" in a plastic bag--looks like journal  box covers, placard boards, and some sort of small things.

Is there supposed to be a diagram as to the locations of the placard boards?  Should there have been some blind holes in the bottom of the running boards?   I assume that the locations of  these are the same as the "frameless" or "Van Dyke" cars--so I can check one of the Grandt On3 kits I have, but not everyone has one on hand for reference. 

Thanks--Glenn Joesten

the Bach-man

Hi, Glenn!
I think the same parts bag included is the same for both tanks, and the placards an be mounted wherever your photos dictate.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

glennk28

I thought perhaps there would be something giving the prototype locations--The large square goes just right of center, the small rectangle goes to the right of that, about one bracket space. . the diamond goes to the right of  center on each end.  All hang below the running board.

gj

Jon D. Miller

Here's a place to start to look at prototypes.

http://drgw.free.fr/DRGW/Freight/Tankcar/Citerne_en.htm

I can tell you this. The placards look good on the cars.  Just don't expect them to withstand any type of handling.  Great for display, not so great for running the cars.

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

glennk28

Jon--thanks--I have what I need--including a stack of Grandt Line "Gramps" kits--my point was that probably most do not have that material to see where to put those parts--I actually thought that there would be locating dimples to match the pins on the parts.  I have a Van Dyke car soming, with a narrow frame here. 

On the On3 layout under construction I will have the Gramps loading facility--so I have 9 or 10 cars built and at least seven more in kit form.   That ought to be quite a sight--8 if them between a pair of K-37's--  gj