News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

SD45 conversion project.

Started by modlerbob, February 22, 2008, 06:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

modlerbob

I have started my Bachmann SD45 conversion project.  I have previously done this to a Kato SD45 and a P2K SD45.  Both of those projects cost me in the neighborhood of $200.  This project should stay under $100.

When I'm done I will post pics of all three.  Here is my 1st shot of the Bachmann with the nose and cab removed.

And here is a pic with the Cannon & Co. cab and nose.

The main reason I used the Cannon cab was to get the windo placement right.
Bob DeWoody

Santa Fe buff

What roadname are you going to name it, or are you going to make one up. Because you can buy some detail kits cheap on ebay, check the condition.
- Joshua Bauer

Guilford Guy

It could be BN since they had a few. It could also be NW/SRR/NS, or even Guilford...
Alex

modlerbob

It will end up painted black with an imitation aluminum stripe around it with gold trim and lettering (SOUTHERN).

Be careful when searching E-Bay for a Spectrum SD45.  The initial run was nothing like the latest releases.  Be sure they say it is at least DCC ready even if you do not plan to use DCC.
Bob DeWoody

ALCO1000

Hello,  Nice work so far ,You can also make it an early U.P. How are you dealing with the back of the cab to the long hood alignment . Cannon cabs are made for scale hoods the Bachmann long hood is WIDE???I tried it and well its stlll  a mystery to me??

modlerbob

It's not as wide as the original athearn SD45 long hood or the original Spectrum long hood.  As you may have noticed I am using the cannon cab sub-bases too which helped in overall height problems I was having.  I am using some evergreen thin plastic strips to fill in any gaps between the cab and hood. At least the long hood doesn't cover the cab door like it did on a conversion I did on one of the original Spectrum SD45s several years ago.  I could also do a N&W SD45 as at least one of their orders was for high short hoods.

Depending on how good the forthcoming Athearn HH SD45 is this may be my last SD45 conversion project.
Bob DeWoody

ALCO1000

I would like to do a NW SD45 ,I have a SPECTRUM release that came out just before the sectional latest sd45. It is on hold untill I finish my CN sd40-2 north american cab style.I am using a milled athearn new style frame with a kato fuel tank that snap fits in place . A LGB shell  and a lot of hand made custom parts , A GP30B is being built at the same time ,off and on about a year now ,. YA Im Slow but , Good. Good luck with your builds!