Cleaning ez tracks with rubbing alcohl

Started by usher42, February 23, 2008, 12:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usher42

Can i use rubbing alcohol to clean my ez tracks

SteamGene

Yes.  Use a lint free cloth and try to find 91%. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

johnd

Another solution is to use an electronic cleaner. Got some at Autozone (CRS QD Electronic Cleaner) for cleaning contacts on an old car. Works great. Cleaned the contacts on an old locamotive that wouldn't run. It now runs. Radio Shack has the same type of product at twice the price!!!

Yampa Bob

I use  91% alcohol on some cleaning applications.  However, it will dissolve the paint on most Bachmann train items that are molded in gray or other colors and then painted.  I believe they use some sort of acrylic or "non-toxic" paint.

Refer to my thread "Chopped Goat".  When I received the shell from Lanny, it had several overcoats of yellow and black.  I soaked it overnight in a dish of 91%, the next morning most of the paint was dissolved, the rest removed with a stiff toothbrush and alcohol.  There was no fusing of the paint with the plastic, leaving an "out of the mold" shiny appearance.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Paul M.

I use white vinegar to clean tracks. It works well. You could also use a Brite-Boy eraser.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Conrail Quality

Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

SteamGene

No.  Jokes require knowledge.  OTOH, WD-40 will save cows from flies, apparently. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Dan Love

No plastic  wheels.

Here's the MSDS on the longet lasting product I've used to date.
3 years so far with about 10 percent reduction in traction, at the outset.
LPS1.

http://www.lpslabs.com/products/msds/10116.pdf

It's sometimes referred to as Magic Postion.

There's a protocol to follow and can be provided if someone wants to use it.
DCC benefits greatly in the one time application.

Dan

usher42

Quote from: SteamGene on February 23, 2008, 12:48:15 PM
Yes.  Use a lint free cloth and try to find 91%. 
Gene
what about handi wipes cloth

Guilford Guy

Baby-wipes work pretty well!
I prefer alcohol on a cloth. Alcohol pads should work, and are also good for cleaning loco's wheels.
WD40 will get an oily residue on the rails, which will get onto the wheels, and gunk up the wheelsets of the loco, and rolling stock, which will gunk up the loco's until they need to be completely disassembled and cleaned, and even then it may not work. The gunk on the wheels will spread around and impede rolling qualities. The WD40 is like putting a slow setting glue all over, since it collects and spreads all particles that end up on the railheads.
Stick to alcohol or vinegar.
Alex

Yampa Bob

Has something to do with directions on can "deliberate inhalation of vapors"...

I use the blue Scot shop towels on a roll.  They don't shred as much as paper towels, and don't snag like cloth.

Bob

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Hoople

-Hoople-

Modeling UP, SP, and D&RGW in colorado between 1930 and 1960.

GIVE US HARRIMAN STEAMERS BACHMANN!

ebtnut

Stick to the non-oil based cleaning materials.  Alcohol is good, as are the electronic contact cleaners.  I would stay away from WD-40 for the reasons stated.  A lot of folks stay away from the Brite-Boys and similar products since they seem to scratch the surface of the rail, leading to more dirt collection.  My feeling is that it is OK to use the abrasive type products if the rail is VISIBLY dirty.  If it looks pretty clean, use the liquids.  Note however that most model rail is brass-based, so it will oxidize over time (pure brass much quicker than nickle silver).  This is why it is good to use the contact cleaners occasionally, since they are intended to remove the oxidation (which isn't "dirt").  As noted also, keep your wheels clean.  Use metal wheels whenever possible, as they don't attract dirt like plastic wheels can (due to static electricity).

TrampTrader

Thanks guys, there was some good info for this newbie on this post.

Pete