News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Passenger Truck advice

Started by Beatthe9ers, February 23, 2008, 02:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beatthe9ers

I just bought 5 heavyweight passenger cars (Athearn) and do not really like the trucks that came with them, so I am looking to switch.  The wheels are plastic and they just look kind of cheap.

I'm a novice, so I am looking for some advice on a brand or specific item that I could switch them out for.  The couplers are attached to the trucks, if that makes a difference.

Any thoughts?

japasha

The trucks are accurate for the most part. The wheels used are metal on one side and plastic on the othere for a lighting kit. They are designed to operate down to 18" radius in present form.

I have replace my wheels with Intermopuntain metal wheels. They are polarized so you can still put lights in. They roll much better. I usually add an addition ounce of weight, 1/2 at each end to aid tracking. If you have less than 24 inch radius, the current couplers on the truck are essential for good running.

One additional note: The Intermountain wheels should be 36" as the Athearn originals match the prototype.

Atlantic Central

Beatthe9ers,

Japasha is right, the best thing to do is just replace the wheel sets. I have a very large fleet of Athearn passenger cars. I too use Intermountain 36" wheels on mine. Because of the mounting design, replacing the intire truck is a bad idea. Nothing on the market is a simple swap.

As Japasha also said the trucks are acurate for the cars. You can add outside brake hangers and shoes made by Central Valley if you want more detail, but this is a little of a skilled modeler project.

The Intermountain wheel sets will inprove both the appearance and rolling quality of the cars and is an easy upgrade.

Sheldon

Beatthe9ers

Well that's just about the perfect answer.  Thank you both very much.

r.cprmier

Athearn's passenger trucks were always on the mark for accuracy; but as others here inferred, go to a metal sheelset, 36-inch wheel.  Reboxx has 'em in both regular configuration and fine-scale configuration.  Both inprove things wonderfully.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!