News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Broadway limited

Started by adari, February 23, 2008, 05:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adari

What engine did the broadway limited use in the steam era? What kind of cars did it pull? What type? Can you guys put the cars in order for me?
Thanks
Adari

SteamGene

Where?  When?  In the steam era a locomotive change might well change to a different type of locomotive depending on grades, curves, speed needs, etc.  The Broadway Limited would have had, for most of its life, a GG-1 in the electric district and probably a PRR K4.  I'm not sure if the PRR used their M1s for passenger service or not.  If they did, they probably were used over the Alleghenys (sp)  :D
The standard order of a steam passenger train was:
head end cars:  reefers, express box, Mail, REA, combine
coaches
diner (as needed or per railroad procedure).  As a rule the kitchen ran forward
Pullman/sleepers
Observation

There might be a dorm car between head end cars and the coaches, or the combine might be the dorm car. 
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Conrail Quality

Gene,

The Pennsy usually used their M1's for freight service. After all, with the electrification project, the Pennsy had a surplus of steam, including many purely-passenger K4's.  The M1's did fill in for K4's from time-to-time, but this was pretty unusual.

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

SteamGene

Timothy, that's what I thought.  C&O used Mountains for passenger service almost exclusively (heck, they designed them for passenger service over the mountains!) and PRR did the opposite. (Why am I not surprised.)  Many railroads did use them for dual service. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

TonyD

I would suppose the K-4's were the usual suspect, tons of sleepers compare to day coaches, if any on the broadway right? As far as order of cars, like Gene said, head end had an order too, but I don't know about Pennsy, but usually if there was any express reefers that run, with fish, lobsters etc,(on the Broadway?) then postal cars, then parcels, passenger baggage next, maybe a crew or smoker combine. Like I said, I'm not a Pennsy expert, but- I believe NO Postal /RPO cars ever butted up to passenger cars unless there was no passageway door on it, this was after Jesse James & before paypal....... I heard some roads had a barbershop or showers in a combine....a straight razor shave sir???
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

RAM

Conrail Quality

Quote from: RAM on February 23, 2008, 11:54:22 PM
How about  the T1s

They were used on the high-profile trains in their first few months, but as their unreliability became obvious, they were bumped down to lower jobs, even freight assignments in their twilight hours. I'm not sure exactly when the were withdrawn from service, but I believe it was around 1950-51. They certainly didn't last as long as the K4's, which soldiered on into 1956.

Timothy
Timothy

Beatle (TrainBrain)

K4s & T1. There is the streamlined K4s, too, but everyone you find is in brass. Great for all you brass collectors! Nice model, though:

http://www.oldlocos.com/trains/steam/streamlined/prr/prrbw-78/prrbw-78.html

Internet All-Beatles radio: http://beatlesarama.com
All you need is love and trains
Ringo Starr: 6/28/08
SC&NY Status: Drawing board, but getting closer!
-Chris

adari

Can anyone tell me if any of these locos would have pulled the broadway limited, http://www.oldlocos.com/trains/steam/streamlined/prr/prr.html .

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease help me, help me (the beatles) :) :) :) :) :) ;) ;) ;D ;D :D 8) 8)

Guilford Guy

The K4's did, The T-1 may have. the articulateds AFAIK were more of tests...
Alex

Conrail Quality

The Q1 and S1 probably pulled it once as a publicity stunt, but they were so problematic I doubt they did so more than a few times.

Timothy
Timothy

SteamGene

Other than the K4, these are end of steam, few examples, mostly experimental.  These are brass models and probably mega-expensive.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

adari

Tom McDonald

Adari,

Attached is a link to an actual Pennsy consist table for circa 1939
If you go to page 6, it gives you the cars that were used to make up the 'Broadway Limited' at that time.  There is a key in the front if the document to decipher the abbreviations of the cars that were used.
As far as power,  A K4s (4-6-2 Pacific) would be the usual
locomotive pulling from Chicago to the Manhatten Transfer in New Jersey. An electricified locomotive (either a DD-1 or GG-1) would
be put on the head end to bring the train into Penn Station.  It's possible that a GG-1 could be put on in Harrisburg and run under the caternary into Penn Station
Putting a K-4s or a GG-1 (probably double headed)
would be prototypically correct.  The T-1 duplexes were used mainly west of Altoona so I don't think you would see one on the 'Broadway Limited' as standard motive power.
Hope this helps.

Tom

http://kc.pennsyrr.com/passops/downloads/3909_consists_west.pdf