News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Steam for an 18" radius

Started by Margaritaman, February 23, 2008, 08:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Margaritaman

Hi,

What steam engines equipped with DCC and sound can handle an 18" radius?

I have one 18" curve in a tunnel, absolutely love steam, love Tsunami sound, and now need some options.  Oh ya, lazy and prefer an engine with everything installed.

Thanks!

Guilford Guy

Spectrum-2-8-0, 4-6-2, 4-4-0/4-6-0 when they arrive.
P2k- 0-6-0/0-8-0, I've heard the 2-10-2 will but I wouldn't recommend it.
Athearn- 4-6-2, 2-8-2
IHC, pretty much any steam, although they won't track on code 83, and the 2-10-2 may have some trouble.
Alex

SteamGene

Anything larger than 2-8-X will look poorly on 18".  Of course if it's in a tunnel, appearance doesn't matter.  OTOH, avoid something that might derail in a tunnel. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Margaritaman

Thanks for the quick responses gents.

That was the reason for putting the 18r in the tunnel was to hide it.  I saw the Spectrum 2-8-0 with sound today.  Almost bought it, but hesitated.

So if you guys think it will handle the turn the we'll go for it.

BTW, the trackwork is perfect.

Thanks

grumpy

A Challanger  from Athern runs very nicely on 18" curves.  A Bachman 2-10-2 runs well on 18" curves . Most of the geared engines will run on 18" .
Don  ???

Yampa Bob

I have several Spectrum 2-8-0, they run and look great on my 18" track.  Of course I'm a Bachmann fan.
Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

SteamGene

Grumpy, the Athearn locos, like the Rivarossi, and some of the BLI, I think, are designed to take 18" radius to improve sales.  So will the Bachmann 2-6-6-2.  But they look awful on such a tight radius.  Notice I mentioned that.  I'm not sure the Bachmann 2-10-2 will take 18" - the 2-10-0 does, but it's a much smaller engine.
You are right, geared locos will eaily take 18" radii.  But remember, those are not designed for mainline service at all. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Margaritaman

What about the Spectrum 4-8-2 Heavy?

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Margaritaman on February 24, 2008, 12:33:09 PM
What about the Spectrum 4-8-2 Heavy?

The Spectrum 4-8-2 Heavy will not, however the Spectrum 4-8-2- Light will take the 18" curves.  I have a pair of these and they are great engines both in running characteristics and their appearence.

I am unsure if the Bachmann newly released 2-8-4 Berkshire will take the 18" curves as well. Perhaps one of the readers will advise on that aspect.

Pacific Northern

SteamGene

If I had an 18" radius to test it on, I'd let you know.  However, I don't think I saw a 22" or bigger warning on mine.
In a tunnel you will need to consider overhang.  It may track, but can it traverese? 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat