News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Problem With Left and Right Hand Turnouts!

Started by T-Lloyd, February 23, 2008, 09:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T-Lloyd

3 of the 8 left and right hand basic turnouts i have purchased within the last year have stopped working, ive tried opening up the turnouts to fix it but the problem seems to be with the little metal rod but im not sure, does anyone know how to fix this? ???

Yampa Bob

If they are Bachmann turnouts, I have repaired a few.  When you push the switch button, do you get a little "buzz" sound?  If not then the solenoid might be bad, assuming the wiring is all securely attached.  The slide switch contacts could be dirty or corroded.  A light spritz of contact cleaner will displace any moisture and clean the contacts.  Trouble shooting always starts with the voltage source, then work your way toward the turnout.  Adjust/check only one thing at a time, then test operation.

The "metal rod" is a  spring, it might need a little bending to adjust. The spring moves the points against the stock rails, but still allows a train to pass through if traveling "with the  points".  The spring should be perfectly straight and in line with the throw bar.  The throw bar can be lifted from the pivot post so you can adjust the spring.  Leave the round gear as is, it may fall off.  If it does, when you replace the throw bar you have to "time" the small round gear with the straight rack gear to get the proper action.

I have one disassembled on the bench now. Can you be a bit more specific with what you are seeing when the solenoid moves the rack gear?   I'll tell you how to get it back in time when you find the problem.

If you are running on carpet and/or have a pet, look for animal hair, dust bunnies or other critters that might be creating problems. 

Bob

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Yampa Bob

Since it's getting late, I'll detail the timing now. I'm assuming the throw bar and round gear have been removed and everything looks ok, and the solenoid is working.   

First make sure the points move freely and aren't binding.  The spring is too weak to move sluggish points.  Don't use lubricant anywhere in the turnout.

Lay the turnout with the straight side toward you. There are 15 teeth on the sliding rack gear.   Slide the rack until the 8th gear is lined up with the post that the round gear fits over and tape or hold it so it doesn't move.  Place the round gear on the post with the pin on the top of the gear at the 9 o'clock position.   

Carefully slide the spring into  the hole of the point bar, then place the throw bar on it's pivot post, with the flat side up.  Move the rack by hand, make sure the end of spring is not catching on the plastic case. If it is, bend the tip up a bit. I have seen several of these with the spring end dragging on the plastic.

Replace the cover and screws.

When you push the switch button, if the points are the wrong position in relation to your preferred switch position,  turn the  plug over at the switch.  If you have hardwired the turnout leads into a switch console, you can also reverse the action by changing the position of the round gear to the 3 o'clock position. 

Some have suggested replacing the weak spring with a stronger one, I have never done this and it may help.  Too strong a spring might cause the solenoid to not make the full throw needed. 

Don't expect these turnouts to perform perfectly right out of the package, or to never need maintenance.  They are mass produced in high volumes.   True railroaders know that preventive maintenance begins when you open the package and continues through the life of the product.  This requires a working knowledge of every single piece of a layout. 

If I've omitted anything, others with perhaps more experience will be in with suggestions.

Good luck

Bob

T-Lloyd

This turnout was not hooked up to electricity yet, i was using the manual switch, and its the older kind of turnout without the gear, basically there is a lever that connects to a spring and the metal bar, the metal bar is a bit bent, it wont push the track fully to the other side.

T-Lloyd

with 1 of them i used a sewing needle and it seems to work, i just gotta glue it, hopefully it will work perfectly

Yampa Bob

I've never seen the older type, glad you got it fixed.
Bob

T-Lloyd

only thing bad about using sewing needles, i cant control them electronically, only manually becasue the switch doesnt go the whole way.