News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

End of Train signal

Started by hgcHO, February 24, 2008, 05:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hgcHO

Does anyone know of an 'End of Train Signal' that works off of DCC.  I am using the Commander system - simple test tack with three turn outs, one being spur, three different engines and head lights, but not sound as of yet - all work fine 

At present have an ENT that works with AA battery but was wondering if some company has one that uses track current?

Thanks - in advance.

HGC

Guilford Guy

I'm positive I've seen one but can't put my finger on it right now. I know there was one in last month's walthers monthly catolog...
Alex

hgcHO

Found it in the 2008 catalogue pg 951 - thanks for the info. 

Now the question does it light up when car in on the track and the current is on?  at 1.95 that is a good deal if it does and by the description it appears to [ EOT device w/red bulb 1.95] 

2- Has anyone have EOT device and does it light up with current on?

Thanks Guilford Guy for your help again.

Thanks in advance anyone; concerning 2nd question.

HGC

modlerbob

I have a feeling you will be happier with the battery powered one you have now.  It's easy to hide a battery in most rolling stock but to wire a car for electrical pickup that is continuous and won't flicker that is another story.  Just look at most lit cabooses and passenger cars.

BTW if you do get one with track pickup make sure it's at least 12v and not 1.5v
Bob DeWoody

WoundedBear

Try a set of Jay-Bee #1533 "electrical pickup trucks". They supposedly fit all Athearn cars. I used a set and the contact is excellent.....no flickers.

Sid

ninnypooper

Ring Engineering makes them. It screws in place of one of the trucks and no modification is required. I got mine from Walthers.
              Tom

ninnypooper

Guilford Guy

Depends on which system you  use. I've had good luck with brushes on the inside of the wheels, on both trucks... With both sides of the axles powered. If you install brushes on the axles, you may want to add a flat piece of styrene on the top of the truck, and use a spring to apply constant pressure to the brush.
Alex

hgcHO

So from what I have read above it appears that getting current to the EOT device or any car required electric accessory could be a problem - and erratic is the norm.   Stay with battery - problem here is the trouble of taking out the battery for the none use period.

No real positive system?

Guilford Guy

You could put a small switch on the bottom of the the car. The other choice is to install a rechargeable battery that is also hooked up to the leads, so in case you are to lose current over dirty track, the battery would continue providing power to the car. You may want to consult someone else over this, but in theory it should work.
Alex

Woody Elmore

Put a caboose on the end of the train. It's a lot less trouble.

TomKat

Nothing Like it in the World==============#====

ninnypooper

HGC   I have the eot device and it works perfectly.  It is new and I'm willing to bet that none of these people have even seen it. It has a truck mounted circuit board and you don't need brushes  because it comes with everything it needs. If you have anymore questions ask me I can test it for you. 
                Tom

hgcHO

OK ninnypooper  - where does one get this EOT device that you speak of??

HGC

ninnypooper

I got mine from Walthers but you must be able to get it at any hobby shop.  Ring Engineering, comes with 33" or 36" wheels has red blinking light