News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO trucks

Started by jsjones, February 25, 2008, 05:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsjones

Replacement trucks for Silver Series freight cars don't appear in the catalog.  What's recommended for direct replacement?  The ones I've tried don't fit over the mounting post on the car.  The indentation is on the wrong side.  Thanks!

Conrail Quality

I've used Kadee trucks on Silver Series freight cars sucessfully. Have you tried those?

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

Yampa Bob

You can't buy trucks from Bachmann, and they do have the proprietary large post. I cut and sand off the bolster post, then you can use about any kind of truck.  The problem with their mounting method is you can't take the slop out of the truck because the flat head bolt bottoms on the post. 

I use Model Power #9400-2 freight car trucks, comes with metal wheels and are great runners at only $2.79 from Tower Hobbies. 

The indentation you speak of is on the correct side. That is to recess the bolt.  Don't drill out the truck to fit over the post, better to just get rid of the old post.   Most other makers have a flat bolster, I think Athearn still has a small post which I cut off also.  I toss out any self tapping screw, and replace with a 2-56 machine screw, usually 1/4" long.  If I tap the threads at all, only a tiny bit, just enough to start the bolt. The bolt needs to turn hard so you can adjust without the bolt falling out, so let the bolt do the tapping. .     

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.