News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Trying To Learn!

Started by Redtail67, February 24, 2008, 08:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redtail67

Reading through the Post on this Board I see references to a Programing Track for DCC. I plan to build a DCC Layout in the future and I am reading all I can about it.

Just a few questions at this time:

1. Is EZ Track DC or DCC or is it capable of both types of operation as is?

2. Is the EZ Command DCC Controller a capable Unit or should I consider going to a Digitrax? Is the EZ capable of being just DC Mode with EZ Track and when I get ready to convert to DCC just get the Engines DCC and use the EZ Command?

3. This Programing Track that I have read about, is it a factory option for programing the Locomotives in DCC or something that a person builds to do this?

In the future I may operate 2-3 tops 4 Engines at once probably just 2 most times. Is the EZ Track and the EZ Controller all that I need?

I am very very new to this and as you might guess I know nothing but I am willing to learn.

Redtail67

Guilford Guy

1. Any track will work with DCC. DCC just sends the signals through the rails to the decoder, thus track doesn't affect the locomotive.
2. Digitraxx has more functions, and is better for programming. You cannot adjust CV's with the EZ command.
CV's can control braking delay, headlight dimming, etc.
Any DCC system can run 1 analog engine on address 0 (00/0000)
3. Programming Tracks is a track isolated from the mainline. On the programming track you can program the CV's, and program the locomotives number.

You can get away with the EZ command with only a few locomotives, but it only can run 1 digit addresses. If a friend brings over a DCC equipped loco with an address in the double digits or above, you wont be able to run it.
As I mentioned earlier, EZ command cannot program CV's. I'd get a digitraxx or lenz system.
Alex

SteamGene

Especially if you have sound units, EZ-Command will not satisfy you.  It allows, at the most, ten locomotives.  I'm not even sure if you can consist for diesel operationsl
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

rains train

I have the Digitrax Zephyr, I love it! I think it is highly superior to the EZC. Just an opinion.

Alex

This is K-10's Modle Trains, AKA...best place in the world!

RAM

Let me add one thing on Programming Track.   Yes the programming track must be isolated, however it can be part of your layout.  I use a yard track that is next to my control unit.  I have it wire through a dpdt switch.  One way for programming and the other way for running.  You programming track should be one that is easy to get to, because that will be the track that you will place you locomotives on the layout.  Another thing is how big is you layout going to be.  If it is small and you are only going to run one train at a time.  Than you don't really need DCC.  Lets face it DCC is nice, you can sit there and turn the headlight off and on.  Yes I know there are a lot of things that you can do with DCC.  DCC can cost big bucks.  You can blow decoders and other thing.  If it were me just starting out with a small layout I would go  with DC.

Redtail67

Thanks to all ofyou guys for replying to my questions, I am new and the more I read the more I realize I need advice..lol

A person really needs to fully think it out first in this game so as to avoid making a lot of mistakes.

Right now I am thinking EZ Track Nickel Steel with a more advanced DCC Controller........lots more to think about.

Thanks again to you all.

Redtail67

rains train

More advanced DCC controller? Zephyr isn't tooooo advanced. It's very simple and easy to operate and understand. More advanced would be the DT400 hand held, that I plan on getting shortly. The Zepyr isn't hard to use, or set up, yet it's very usefull and can control up to 10 engines at once I believe. It can program, control a variety of sounds, control more than one engines at once, and it very much worth the money you pay for it! I highly, 110% sugjest it! ;)

Alex

This is K-10's Modle Trains, AKA...best place in the world!

Guilford Guy

A Lenz 100 starter system, sells for only a bit more than the Zephyr, and allows for walk around control with the purchase of "express-net"ports. I think one may be included in the starter set. If it doesn't you can still move around since the Throttle has a good sized cord.
Alex