News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Newbie needs help with sound

Started by MrsGramp, February 20, 2008, 06:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrsGramp

I bought a Bachmann FTA and GP40 and am confused as to what exactly I need in order to add sound.  Can someone please give me specifics please.

Thank you.

Yampa Bob

There is a web site that has a lot of information about installing sound decoders.

http://www.tonystrains.com

You might want to download some of their technical pdf files.  They have one called  "Decoder Installations" that is very informative.  Once you have studied a little, give them a call and they will advise you options for your particular models.  They will even do the installation for you for a modest fee if you buy the decoders from them.

Good Luck

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

MrsGramp

Both Locomotives have "DCC Onboard".  Does this mean that I will only need a decoder?  I've seen a little speaker thingie and wasn't sure about what that is is this something that I don't need?

Thank you so much for any info.

Yampa Bob

The diesel models don't have much room but sound can be added.  Personally I would never attempt it even though I have an electronic background.

Before you spend the money, you might want to consider if adding sound is really worth it.  Some modelers like it, others don't.   

I'm not trying to discourage you, it's your train and your money. I tried sound and didn't feel it made my railroad experiences any more enjoyable. 

However, if you are determined to have sound, then I would suggest having it installed by Tonys.  Some hobby shops also do installations. 

Bob

SteamGene

Bob,
Since when did a diesel have chuff and a whistle? :D
DCC on board means it already has a decoder installed, but not a sound one.  Bob's suggestion with contacting Tony's is a good one. 
Have you heard a sound equipted model diesel?  Do you like the effect?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Yampa Bob

Gene:
I'm having a bad day ok?  >:( :D.  I edited my post before you made your comment but you beat me to it.   I was really sweating as I knew you were getting ready to pounce on me. LOL

Actually, the blunder was made because in my mind I only associate sound with steamers.  I've never heard a sound diesel.  Except for the horn, what else is there?  My diesels already make a lot of noise.

Bob

MrsGramp

Like I said, I'm new at this and just thought sounds would be nice.  I know nothing about what diesel locomotives are supposed to sound like, or do they even make a sound?  I'm thinking maybe it's not worth the time and/or money to even worry about it.

Yampa Bob

MrsGramp:

Diesels just make a lot of rumbling and roaring noises and blow their horns.  See Gene, I said "horns", I'm awake now.  :D

I enjoy the diesels because I can just toss them on the track and run them.  But as I mentioned above, I can't justify adding sound to any of mine.

If you ever decide to get a steamer, I would suggest Bachmann's sound equipped Baldwin 2-8-0, a very reliable and smooth runner. 

Bob

ebtbob

MrsGramp,

The best advice you have gotten so far is to contact Tony's Train Exchange.   
        The next thing you will want to know is what type of sound to have installed.   The FT will want a first generation EMD sound,  the GP40 a second generation EMD sound.   Type of horn sound will depend on what is mounted on the model.   If it has a single horn,  then so be it,  if it has a 3 chime horn......well you get the picture.   Nomenclature may come thru about the horn with terms like Wabco, Nathan,  etc,   which are types of horns.    On that fact I cannot advise you.   
          As far as sound goes in diesels,   I must agree that in most cases it is not as impressive as in steam engines.   BUT..........the QSI sound used in the new Atlas C420s is AWESOME!!!    The sound ramps up just like the real thing as opposed to stepping up.   I wish I could verbalize what I am trying to say.    You just have to hear one diesel as opposed to the C420.   I bought one of the C420s to use as a shifter in my industrial area just so I can hear it start up and shut down.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Yampa Bob

Bob
I know what you mean by the sound "ramping up".  Lots of UP SD40 through here with 100 coal cars.  The tracks run through our ranch, and late at night I hear the horns start out low then build up, lets you know the power of  8,000 horsepower coming down the tracks. ....yeah it gave me goosebumps when  you described it, so from someone who knows, you verbalized it very well.  There are 5 crossing, so get plenty of looooong, loooong, short, loooong. 

Bob