SR&RL No. 9 - an On2 Forney regauge project.

Started by scottychaos, February 25, 2008, 09:26:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottychaos

wade

Wade

hminky

Is there enough meat on the gear side of the frame. It looks like there won't be much left. You will need to take .075" off per side.

Harold

scottychaos

Quote from: hminky on February 25, 2008, 11:22:00 AM
Is there enough meat on the gear side of the frame. It looks like there won't be much left. You will need to take .075" off per side.

Harold

Yes, there will be enough..
It has already been done sucessfully at least once (not be me)..
and it wont need to be quite as much as .075"..
Im thinking 1mm (.04") per side should be enough.

Scot

hminky

O scale 2 foot is .500 inches HO is .650.  .650 -.500=.150 divide that by 2 it equals .075.

I would check with the guy who did the conversion.

Harold

scottychaos

Quote from: hminky on February 25, 2008, 12:19:40 PM
O scale 2 foot is .500 inches HO is .650.  .650 -.500=.150 divide that by 2 it equals .075.

I would check with the guy who did the conversion.

Harold

Harold,
you are correct about the track gauges, but the frame does not need to be narrowed that entire difference..

the stock On30 forney has lots of space between the drivers and the frame,
when the drivers are regauged to On2, they just barely "dont fit"..

the regauged On2 drivers end up being almost exactly the same width apart as the frame..the frame is a fraction of a mm wider than the regauged drivers.

The difference between HO track gauge and On2 track gauge is irrelevant to the frame, it really has nothing to do with how much the frame needs to be narrowed..if Bachmann had made the frame just a touch narrower, you could regauge the drivers to On2 and not to have to modify the frame at all..

so yes, the frame needs to be narrowed, but not by the entire .075"..
.04" on a side will do it.

Scot

hminky

You take most of  the .075 per side out in the sideplay built into the drivers. There still isn't much meat.

Harold