News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-8-2 Heavy mountain

Started by stanj, February 26, 2008, 08:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stanj

I am new to this forum, new to model railroading.  I just received a 4-8-2 heavy mountain loco (new) and I have a couple of questions.  First, the coupler on the tender is too low with respect to the couplers on the cars, (Atlas) so that when the loco starts up a hill, the car uncouples.  Is there any way to remedy this?  Second, the black wires between the loco and tender are stipped of most of the insulation.  Should I replace the insulation or send it to Bachman?  Is 5 weeks really a normal turn around time?  This is my only real loco and I am still building the layout and need it to test my track alignment etc.  And lastly, the front truck (pilot wheels?) seems to derail for no apparent reason, mostly on curves, eve gentle ones.  Seems like they are too light or don't have any downward tension.  Should there be a spring in there?  Okay that was more than two questions,  Told you I was new.  Stan

Frisco

I did not know that the 4-8-2 had to low couplers but the several of the other Bachmann locomotives . Micro Trains has I believe has washeres to raise or lower couplers . But before you do this I would send it Bachmann for the stripped wires . As for the front truck  ??? I would ask Bachmann .

the Bach-man

Dear Stan,
If the wires are damaged I'd contact the service department.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

stanj

Thanks for the info.  I e-mailed the service dept.  See what they say.  Stan

skipgear

There is no vinyl insulation on the wires. The wires are laquer coated such as magnet wire used in armatures and coils. There is nothing wrong with your loco. The wires should be various shades of blue, black and red.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950