News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Help on Loco Info

Started by Harpsbay, February 26, 2008, 11:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harpsbay

I am new to this.  I was given a 80 -ton Three Truck Shay Loco. Spectrum by Bachmann. I do not know a thing about it. The only thing I have is a spare parts list. Could someone please point me in the right direction. Thanks
Tom

the Bach-man

Dear Tom,
Put it on the track and run it. What exactly do you want to know?
Have fun!
the Bach-man

RAM

Tom remember that the top speed of this locomotive was 10 to 15 MPH.  So don't run it wide open.  Slow is the game.

Harpsbay

Where was it  used? How it was used? Mountains, citys, any info will help. I have tried to look it up on line and it sends me to e-bay. Just give me an address I will gladly do the research.
Tom

Yampa Bob

Tom
Check this link, more links at the bottom. The way to search at Google is like this:

Three Truck Shay Wikipedia.........Wikipedia has lots of information, not always up to date but good to start: 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shay_locomotive

Here is another link found at the above site, specifically for the history of Shay
http://www.shaylocomotives.com/

Good luck
Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

jayl1

Many Shays were used for logging.  Check the website for Cass Scenic in West Virginia.  They are still running Shays as a tourist line.

WoundedBear

Here's another good site for Shay reference......and other materiel as well.

http://steaminthewoods.com/

Sid

Guilford Guy

Similar to Shays, Climax locomotives occasionally worked in cities with shrouding so they wouldn't scare the horses.

Alex

jayl1

To add to Guilford's comment - several Shays also received a covering for the same reason.

SteamGene

A large number of geared locos - Shay, Climax, Heisler - were narrow gauge.  As noted, they were frequently logging road power, also some mine runs.  They were hardly ever on the mainline because they were slow.  The Bachmann and Rivarossi models of the geared locos are all standard gauge, but this was not necessarily the norm. 
The were designed to operate on essentially temporary track, with bad ballasting, tight curves, and steep grades. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

RAM

The KSC used a shay In downtown Kansas City Mo. due to tight curves, and steep grades. 

Guilford Guy

Several Class 1's owned geared locomotives.

New York Central

Western Maryland

,and I'm sure there were several others.
Alex

jayl1

Gene,
MDC/Roundhouse made a narrow gauge (HOn3) Shay as a kit & as ready to run.  This is pre-Horizon.

Guilford,
Western Maryland #6 is at Cass & was operational  (as of a few years ago).  It was swapped with the B&O Museum for a smaller Shay & I believe a tank engine(??).
Jay

James Hail

Shrouding!   BAaAA  Get rid of the Horses.......Let the loco show!

Jim
Currently landscaping and ballasting a 4x10 HO.....using a NCE DCC PowerCab and Having a Blast.[move]

TonyD

Ah man GG!!! Why didn't you save those for the guessing game!!!!! 
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler