News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

33" or 36" wheels?

Started by hgcHO, February 27, 2008, 12:24:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hgcHO

When would one use 33" wheels and/or 36" wheels?

I have a choice on the EOT - 33 or 36?  What about the other cars?

HGC

Yampa Bob

I have been told that all freight cars have 33",  later passenger cars 36".  However, I have seen Atlas and Athearn freight cars with 36".  I have not seen "all" freight cars, just going by what my cars have.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

ninnypooper

Depends on the car.  They offer the choice just to be Prototypically accurate. For example:  An  older 70 ton hopper would most likely have 33" wheels where as a  newer 100 ton hopper has 36" wheels.
                Tom

Yampa Bob

Some of my 100 ton hoppers have 33", some have 36".  I sometimes think they just stick on whatever they have the most at the time.  Anyway, since I only run vintage coaches, I only stock 33". 

Bob

Atlantic Central

Wheel sizes:

Basicly, from about 1900 into the late 1970's the following was true:

Freight cars - 70 ton trucks and less - 33" wheels

Passenger cars - 36" whhels

This all started to change with the development of 100 ton freight car trucks and speciality freight cars in the late 70's

100 ton freight car trucks (and some 70 ton ones on some equipment) have 36" wheels.

Some piggyback flatcars have 28" wheels to help keep the car deck height as low as possible.

Most modern (post 1985) freight cars have 100 ton trucks with 36" wheels.

Not being a "modern" modeler (I model 1954), I have not kept up with all the exceptions/special cases, but the above is a good gerneral guide.

Sheldon

hgcHO

Thank you Bob and Sheldon you guys keep this board on  point and ninnypooper too - and by the way I order 'Ring' EOT for 33".

HGC

Yampa Bob

I have often wondered what the 28" were used for, now I know, learn something new every day.

Bob