Storing Spectrum Steam Engines

Started by Pacific Northern, February 27, 2008, 02:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

How do you store your Spectrum steam engines when they are not on your layout.

That is how do you avoid having to unplug the somewhat fragile electrical connections between the engines and their tenders while storing the engines.

Pacific Northern

Guilford Guy

Their boxes... A display case/shelf for the 2-10-2...
Alex

SteamGene

Mine are in their boxes, sitting upright as suggested.  Removing the plugs is fairly eay if you use the blade of a flat bladed jeweler's screw driver as a pry bar.   But I'd prefer a box like the Standards come in.  The square boxes are a copy from brass locomotives which only had a drawbar between loco and tender.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Atlantic Central

drhone,

I don't have more locos than needed for the proposed layout, so when the layout is done (at least from a track standpoint) They will all have a home on a piece of track.

If I ever difted into collecting (not likely), I would buy some display cases.

Sheldon

kevin2083

______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Atlantic Central on February 27, 2008, 03:05:09 PM
drhone,

I don't have more locos than needed for the proposed layout, so when the layout is done (at least from a track standpoint) They will all have a home on a piece of track.

If I ever difted into collecting (not likely), I would buy some display cases.

Sheldon

This is what happens when you plan your layout and do not plan sufficient layout/staging tracking.

Thankfully I will soon be able to enlarge the layout to accommodate the required yard trackage on two new levels..
Pacific Northern

Yampa Bob

Dr
Once I connect the plugs I rarely disconnect them.  The problem is keeping the drawbar attached when handling.  Here is the method I use on my Bachmann Connies.

I carefully thread the tender post with a 4-40 nut and a nut driver or small socket. Cut a couple of threads, then back off, thead some more, easy so as not to break off the post, only need about 1/8 inch threaded.  Ream out the drawbar hole a tad and smooth the hole edges.  To hold the drawbar on the tender, I use 1/16 I.D. silicone fuel tubing, as used on model aircraft, just long enough to be flush with the end of the post and let the drawbar float .  The threads grip the tubing and won't fall off.

Tender posts vary in size, use the proper size nut to thread with.  You don't want to cut full deep threads just make ridges to grip the tubing. 

Bob

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

GN.2-6-8-0

As for just storing them connected I was lucky to find a couple of 16" microphone box's that the locos fit perfectly ,just added 1/4" soft foam .
and store them upright. Nice soft bed for my new BLI Santa Fe 2-10-2
Rocky Lives

Johnson Bar Jeff

I'm waiting semi-patiently for a display case from Historic Rails to store my Richmond American.