News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Stranger than fiction

Started by SteamGene, February 27, 2008, 05:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

From the Wikipedia article on the NYC:

The story of their (the only two modern NYC steam locomotives nto be be scrapped) survival is a fascinating one: L-2d #2933 (4-8-2 Mohawk) was somehow overlooked during the 1956-57 scrapping process, and was literally hidden for years after this by sympathetic NYC employees at the NYC's Selkirk Yard, New York roundhouse, behind large boxes. In January 1962, when scrapping her would have been a public-relations disaster, she was donated to the St. Louis museum. Since the last NYC steam locomotive operated in New York State on August 7, 1953, her survival defies credibility.

Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Atlantic Central

Gene,

Great story!

The bigger the company (or government), the bigger the cracks that things can "fall" into. There is a B&O story of six box cars lost on a siding in western Maryland for 35 years! Then one day, someone asked "what are they doing here?".

While a steam locomotive is a more expensive asset than six box cars, the fact remains, how does someone (or even a corporation) own something that big and not know where it is? Amazing stuff.

Sheldon

Conrail Quality

Quote from: Atlantic Central on February 27, 2008, 06:23:16 PM

While a steam locomotive is a more expensive asset than six box cars, the fact remains, how does someone (or even a corporation) own something that big and not know where it is? Amazing stuff.

Well, the Penn Central had a reputation for it. In the early days of the merger, they lost an entire coal train, locos and all, for over a week (it was finally located outside Syracuse). Then, of course, there was the incident where an Indiana shortline stole more than 200 PC boxcars, then fed them right back  into the PC system, charging PC all the while. But on a happier note, PC also "lost track of" (another employee conspiracy) E7 #4201, which is now the last remaining E7 in the world.

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

Guilford Guy

Too bad the NH couldn't have done that with some EP-3's eh tTimmy.
Alex

Redtail67

That kind of stuff was very common on the Santa Fe in the late 1960s and early 1970s. The cars on any line were controlled very tightly by the Conductors on the runs and they hid and buried cars for late "SALE" to the higest bidder, usualy a fifth of whiskey or along those line maby money in some cases. T^o combat that the Santa Fe and others put in CAR DEPARTMENTS centraly controlled at the Division Headquarters.

I was personally involved in findin I believe it was fifty cars hidden and lost for years on the "OLD TIMPSON MAINLINE" in East Texas we had a Special Train Order issued by the Superintendent in Temple to get these cars without fail and return then to Silsbee ASAP. We spent two days oiling all the journals and then used a four unit consist of GP 7s to knock down small pine trees in the tracks and went through briar patches 100 yards thivk to get all thes cars together an bring them out.

We once recieved instructions to enter the old World War Two Air Force Bse at HITE, Louisiana an gather all freight cars and return them to Silsbee. We gathered up about 35 cars mostly pulpwood and log cars that had been hidden on yhese tracks over the years by the Conductors that were assigned the what was known as the JU&E Locals. That being Jasper and Eastern Railroad that was taken over by the GC&SF Gulf Colorado and Santa Fe a subsidary of ATSF who later absorbed it.

I heard stories from men on Cotton Bels SP MP and KCS in Texas and Louisiana that had similar experiences.

It was the computerization and formation of Car Departments that stopped all that bull.

Redtail67

SteamGene

This brings back the memory of a story from the early days of World War II, after Germany had overrun France and England braced for the on-coming invasion.  The High Command sent out teams to find good defensive positions along the southwest coast.  Two officers walked along a railroad line and discovered an uncharted siding, overrun with underbrush and angled towards the coast.  They followed the track and after a bit it became less overrun.  Finally, close to the coast there was another turnout and the track and ballast was in good condition.   Then they found two railroad guns, in excellent condition, side by side and a small cottage.  The cottage housed a Royal Garrison Artillery pensioneer (sp) whose job was to maintain the two guns - which had been totally forgotten by the army.  
For you younger guys, these would be something like 12 - 16 inch naval guns, firing 1 ton projectille to ranges of 20 miles or so.  Very hard to misplace.  
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

RAM

Gene, One thing I don't understand.  You said "(The only two modern NYC steam locomotives not be be scrapped) survival is a fascinating one: L-2d #2933 (4-8-2 Mohawk) was somehow overlooked during the 1956-57.  What was the other one?

SteamGene

The other was another Mohawk of a different class that was sent (sold) to a town in Texas to replace a stuffed and mounted 2-10-X that had been heavily vandalized.  Why the NYC would send a Mohawk to Texas is beyond me.  Go to the New York Central page in Wikipedia for the whole story. 
Speaking of that - instead of using Google, use Good Search and designate a favorite charity, school, or church that is a member.  If you just search a couple of times a day, you will help out. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Woody Elmore

In the NYC transit system, a train of low voltage  IRT cars was saved for posterity when the TA chaplain, interested in saving the cars , got the employees to hide it. They moved it around the various underground storage tracks and management was non the wiser.

The train now is operated for fan trips thanks to the machinations of the chaplain.

RAM

Ok I remember now.  It was dress up to look like a T&P locomotive.  Then it was traded and replaced by a GG1.   A GG1 in Texas!

GN.2-6-8-0

Strange this subject should come up, have for years thought wouldn't it be fantastic to find one of the Great Northerns big articulateds tucked away somewhere, some zealous employees having stashed it away....

Such is a modelers dream!!... ;D
Rocky Lives

TonyD

A few- several years ago, I told a New Haven historical society memeber at a table at a trainshow about a New Haven stainless steel diner surrounded by trees in the West Springfield yard, actually on a beer distributor's spur. He said nothing, just 'thanks'. A little while later, the company cleared the siding to start recieving by rail again, the car was gone. A few months later I saw it in a dead line of passenger stock the Central Mass was going to restore for excursions, I'd like to think I dropped a dime for a good cause. I told every one I could about a friction bearing flat- 1920's NYC I think, in the same yard, on a main road! It is now gone, but I don't know where....I just hope not into a dumptser....a maint.  employee said it was going to be free to any orgainization that wanted it.... I doubt it....
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

r.cprmier

Tony;
I noticed that same flat's absence as I drove past the yard on my way to the show this winter.  it had always intrigued me as having those friction bearings and still in service, albiet MOW.  About 1920 vintage, I believe.

While stationed at Bunker HIll AFB in Indiana (67) I happened at the town of West Hartford (IN) just outside of Peru, and lo and behold, sat an old New Haven boxcar, resplendant in fading pre-mcguinnes script.  I was elated!  here in the backwaters of the Hoosier state was something I could call family...Well, almost!!  I don't know if it is still there-I would assume they hauled it out long ago, or it desolved...

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Paul M.

Quote from: RAM on February 28, 2008, 01:24:40 PM
Ok I remember now.  It was dress up to look like a T&P locomotive.  Then it was traded and replaced by a GG1.   A GG1 in Texas!

Interesting....

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Paul M.

Gene, do you have a link to the story?

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific