News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Weathering Project

Started by modlerbob, March 06, 2008, 01:24:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

modlerbob

Here's a SOUTHERN 3 bay covered hopper I just weathered.  It's an accurail product.  If you think it's over done go to the Southern Railfan site or Fallen flags and look at some of the 1:1 photos

Bob DeWoody

Yampa Bob

Bob
I would very much like to see it, but my slow dialup won't load a 500kb picture.

I have a weathering kit coming, don't know much about it, but I have some old cars to practice with.  Can you give some basic instructions on weathering?

Thanks

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

styntwin409

Whoa, when I looked at that fast, I thought it was real! Nice job! Wish I could weather like you (or weather at all...) ;).

~Justin
~Contact me on my new account, Chessie Sys. 3022~

My Chessie layout site

r.cprmier

It looks really good.  I especially like the forethought you gave to where the rust would form on the body.  Good work!

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

modlerbob

Yampa Bob,  Send me an E-mail and I will send you the picture directly.
Modlerbob@cfl.rr.com

Us bobs have to stick together.

Weathering is mostly just a mattter of practice.  I started out using old bocars or new cars that are relatively cheap.  Don't be afraid to experiment. After all you can always repaint the car and decal it.  The method I used on this car was to use fine sandpaper and steel wool to fade the lettering.  Then I dry brushed the rust with a wide stiff paint brush.  If I over did a section after it dried I used the sandpaper again.  Finally I over sprayed some grime from the bottom up and then some dullcoat with about 10% flat white added from the top down.  While that was still damp I streaked it with the wde stiff brush again.
Bob DeWoody