News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Walther's HO turntable

Started by bwreno, February 27, 2008, 06:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwreno

Hi,
Will someone give me the width and height of the Walther's HO turntable (either 130' or 90') ARCH?  I want to know how much if any I need to modify for On30.  I know that the guard rails will have to be moved out.

Thanx,   bob

Frisco

The  turntable 3-5/8 Th inch tall . Acording to the Walthers referance book . :)

traingeek

I did go through the arduous task of modifying a walthers turntable.  The main problem is the wheels, they are poorly cast and do not roll properly. As a result, the turntable is very jerky when turning a heavy On30 engine like the 2-8-0.  I cut back the wheel housing to flush with the turntable, then attached HOn3 trucks vertically to the side of the turntable girder. I cut them in half so that  the bolster and one axle remained . Filing off the journal boxes gave clearance.  I used metal kadee trucks.  All this was covered with a scratch gallows turntable. However, it still did not work as the turntable pit is too thin to support the weight, and would flex.  This caused the pit walls to bend inward and the table would rub against them, causing more jerkiness.  The solution was to support the pit from the bottom with a  piece of plywood with a hole big enough to have the tapered part of the pit seat in it.  Whew, what a job.  It does work now, but I almost gave up. I would suggest buying something more substantial with steel wheels, unless you are masochistic.  Dave

r.cprmier

Dave;
I have all but decided to scoff  the Walthers rig in favour of a Diamond Scale one.   Ninety feet might be cutting it a dite close for some of the engines I have, but 130 might be tipping the limit, as it is going on a section that is two feet wide; this will also support the 'house, as well as the coal tower, which will be a  ponderous concrete structure similar to the one at Cedar Hill.  The water tower can be elsewhere, as it is a steel structure of more or less behemoth proportions and I figure that standpipes can still capture the fine flavour of the engine servicing facilities.   I have at present, a backshop at that location, with about three feet (1:1) behind it, showing a generous view of the framing technique I employed...  So I am starting to build a fire under that boiler of desire, and soon (?) I will be releasing the brakes of motivation, and the train of creation will be underway...

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

SteamGene

Remember that there are two issues of Walthers turntables.  My understanding is that the first issue was garbage while the second is excellent.  Of course, an O scale loco is going to be heavier than an HO scale loco, no matter what the gauge.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

rogertra

Yes.  The first Walther's T.T. of several years ago was garbage.  Nicely detailed but very, very difficualt to get to work.

I have the "new" 90ft which is excellent.

glsummers

I also have the Walthers Turntable. I just finished installing it and after doing the indexing it workes great. The only thing I was not clear on with their directions was programming both sides of the turntable track to all the tracks coming into the turntable. After I finished that it works fantastic and I would highly recommend it to anyone. Larry

r.cprmier

Just for curiosity, I took another look at the specs on the Walthers turntable.  It does impress me.  I maybe was looking at the older issue, from which I walked away laughing.

Engineering a turntable would, to me, be nothing short of a total drag; therefore, I will look at a simpler approach than a Diamond Scale, even though the Diamond is far and away, the best working rig out there.  I have read a lot about what people have gone through in the assembly, and perhaps will sidestep it, probably because I am lazy more than anything else.  It is called wisdom or old age-you pick.

RIch
Rich

Mike CT

This is a Diamond Scale OT 105  turntable.  Works well for O-scale engines and would be easily adaptable to On30. 

Note the pit rail  bogies are well built and support all the weight of the engine.

Diamond Scale has changed hands in the last year.  Currently the O-scale Turntables and the largest HO scale TT are not available. 

r.cprmier

MIke;
You realize you have just made the choice harder for me, don't you?  That is a great looking turntable, and the mechanicals have always impressed me. 

Betwixt the Walthers and Diamond tables there is not a whole world of difference financially; as one's slack is made up for ease and vice versa.  There is a turntable on the cover of last month's MR; whose is that?  I like the design.  The pointed arch I do not care for.

Rich
Rich

brad

I've recently purchased a Bowser 90 TT that runs like a dream very smooth and quiet. The detail is also excellent.

brad
I drempt, I planned, I'm building

SteamGene

I have a spare 90 foot turntable with pit and motor, bought by mistake.  It has no rails so no problem now with On30 if you are interested. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"