News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

This website

Started by Matt Bumgarner, March 01, 2008, 07:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Bumgarner

Does anyone else have trouble, seemingly once a month, when this website goes down for 8-24 hours at a time?  Happened to me last night (Friday, 2/29), again.

Just curious.

Matt Bumgarner

SteamGene

it was down all day yesterday for me.  Then about two hours ago I could get to any actual board.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Conrail Quality

Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

Redtail67

same here..they might have been doing monthly upkeep or updating site.

grumpy

They were probably cleaning up the language ( spelling and grammar ).
Don ;)

Yampa Bob

I noticed the threads only go back to February 2007.  It's possible that occasionally they all have to be screened, deleting duplicate, pointless or deflamatory threads.

With as many as 1500 annual threads in a section, that would take awhile.  Hats off to Mr B, that's a lot of housekeeping.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Guilford Guy

Erm, this isn't the original forum... There was one before this...
Alex

Yampa Bob

I am perfectly aware of that.  My first sentence was an observation, you need to digest my entire post to gather my viewpoint.  Regardless of startup date, regular housekeeping is essential if only to "take out the trash".

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Matt Bumgarner

I wondered if it might be for housekeeping or updating reasons as well; however, as webmaster for several sites, we don't take down the old one until the new one is ready.

Then, we do an FTP (File Transfer Process), and the entire site is changed within minutes, not hours or dozens of hours.

To me, it appears that the server which actually hosts this website is physically going down.

Again, just curious. Any comments Mr B? Because you really do an excellent job on this site and it is a real service to the hobby.

Thanks!

Matt Bumgarner

GlennW

Perhaps Bahhmann can put up a notice when they do their maintenance? At least this is better than the Atlas site going down while they go on their annual vacation.

IMHO having maintenance on the last Friday/Saturday of the month is no big deal. Gives more time for working on the Railroad!

Santa Fe buff

It's the Server. Yesterday, the entire site was down, and they said their Server was broken so they were switching to a new one.
Must of been slowly dieing, like a poor steamer in the junkyard.
Until someone overhauls it and it looks like it did in it's service years.
- Joshua Bauer

Dusten Barefoot

And I thought it was down for a reason ::). I was hoping for announcments. Yeah I had this problem last night.
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

Paul M.

Quote from: Guilford Guy on March 02, 2008, 01:48:14 AM
Erm, this isn't the original forum... There was one before this...

At least 2 before this....

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Guilford Guy

Does that include the one with passwords, and the one without?
Alex