News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

I need an answer

Started by pdlethbridge, March 01, 2008, 07:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdlethbridge

While searching google earth I came across this arrangement in Hamburg, Germany Never saw any thing like this before and was wondering if there was a logical explanation? You can clearly see the areas where there were 2 roundhouses and the ties for each turntables ring rail and the center bearings are still in place Location is south, south west of Evendi Arena in Hamburg

SteamGene

I only see one roundhouse.  Is it possible that the two "disks" are the turntable pit and the turntable itself?   Perhaps an RAF 500 pound bomb moved it back in 1943-44.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

pdlethbridge

actually there are the remains of 2 roundhouses, if you google it and get a closer look you will see the ties are still there for 2 separate roundhouses

Paul M.

Maybe one was destroyed, or razed, and they decided that if they were gonna have to rebuild the roundhouse anyway, they might as well build it in a new position, which would be just a tiny bit better?

Just a guess....

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Mike

CAr shop and engine shop... like Roanoke?

SteamGene

Several major engine facilities - like Roanoke - had more than one roundhouse and turntable.  I'm thinking that Spencer, NC did, and Steamtown.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

pdlethbridge

but overlaping turntables?

TonyD

almost an opical illussion, seems one- a new one was built over the unfilled pit of an old one, with all the leads from the lower one. the shadows overlap too. Has to be a new one on top. How old is this? a goggle earth? 1990's or newer huh? wow. Wasn't a double exposure was it?
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

pdlethbridge

I got another answer at another site and here it is. As originally built, both turntables were smaller and touching. In the 20's both were enlarged and overlapped. Circuitry prevented them from colliding. Because the area was so small nothing else could be done. Enlarging and overlapping the TT's allowed keeping the roundhouses and tracks in place and saved them money.

r.cprmier

I got another answer at another site and here it is. As originally built, both turntables were smaller and touching. In the 20's both were enlarged and overlapped. Circuitry prevented them from colliding. Because the area was so small nothing else could be done. Enlarging and overlapping the TT's allowed keeping the roundhouses and tracks in place and saved them money.

This is the most logical assumption so far.  I believe you are correct.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

TonyD

Yep, but I bigger question is 'why'? The ol' roundhouse footprint is nearly a perfect circle, you'd think one big TT would do the trick....Tutonic engineering huh? All the top one's weight must have rested on the center bearing too....wow.
don't be a tourist, be a traveler. don't be a forumite, be a modeler

rogertra

This is not an error.  There were two overlapping turntables.

See here: -

http://www.germansteam.co.uk/Archive/1969Sept.jpg

Parts of the overlapping turntables can be seen.

GN.2-6-8-0

Well now if thats just not the damnest thing i ever saw.....but pictures don't lie ;D

Have to send that shot to the boy .....
Rocky Lives

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat

r.cprmier

Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!