News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Decoder question

Started by jomazz, March 06, 2008, 12:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomazz

I have a Spectrum heavy mt. 4-8-2 dcc ready loco with the large coal tender &, I would like to know about adding a decoder- what one & where & how do I install it. I have absolutely no idea about these things as you can probably tell. I'm in need of your expert guidance.

Yampa Bob

Jomazz
A  Bachmann decoder will simply plug into the circuit board in the tender. They cost about $22.   If you have the EZ Command, the instructions explain how to program a user installed decoder.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJFZ8&P=0

On the circut board you will see a small flat plug, remove that and plug in the decoder.  Observe the orientation of the small plug, if you get the decoder plugged in backwards it won't hurt anything, the lights just won't work right.  If so reverse the  decoder plug.  I believe the orange wire should align with the "dot" on the board.

You don't need a programming track,  just program on the main as per instructions.

Bob
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

jomazz

Hey, thank you so much for the info. After 30 yrs. away from the hobby I think I get overwhelmed by all of this dcc stuff. I really appreciate the help I get on these forums. I'm chompin' at the bit, waiting for my track to arrive, so I can start my layout. I'll probably have to ask another ? about how to get the tender apart to install the decoder but, that's for another time. Thanks again.

Yampa Bob

If you got it new, there is an exploded diagram for the tender.  Spend some time just studying it.  There is usually a screw in a recessed hole on the bottom.  Once the screw is removed, there are latches on the back to contend with.  For example, on a medium USRA tender, once the screw is out, lift the front of the shell a ways to clear the mounting post, then move it to the front to clear the plastic tabs. Don't pry on the tabs, they may break off.  It may take a little wiggling, just don't force anything.

Yours may be a bit different but comes apart in a similar fashion.

To replace, lower the rear of the shell to let the tabs pass through the cut outs. Then slide shell to the rear until it will drop down over the mounting post, and replace the screw.

If you have any problems, come back and ask.  I'm sure there is someone on the forum that has disassembled one exactly like yours, and will walk you through it.. 

Bob

topsir2

I just put in a MRC Brilliance sound decoder in my DCC ready Hvy. Mountain 4-8-2. Plug in the 8 pin decoder. I put the speaker under the coal load. Drill 4 small holes in the coal load for the sound to come out. Install speaker face up under coal load. Also drill a hole under the coal for the plug of speaker to fit thru. It cost me $63 for a MRC decoder and you won't be sorry, the sound is great.

Yampa Bob

Topsir,

That makes more sense to have the sound from the top of coal load or from the front of tender.  I bought a sound Southern Pacific that had the speaker in the bottom of the tender, and it didn't sound right so I returned it.

I noticed they dropped the Brilliance for a while, is the new one improved or what? I am curious what kind of controller you have, and was it easy to program?  I may consider sound again, I have thought about putting the speaker in the cab if the baffle will fit. 

The Bose sound system uses a folded tube, if somehow the sound could be "piped" to the boiler it might seem even more realistic.  Several have said it can't be done, but I still think about it.

Bob 

hotrainlover

topsir2,
Where did you get the MRC decoder from?...  That is a great idea1

Thanks for the help!!

topsir2

I got the sound MRC decoder from Jim's Model Trains on Ebay. He is a power seller on Ebay. Go on Ebay do a search HO DCC Decoders. Or go to his site on Ebay. He carrys all types of decoders and the prices are good. I also got another sound from him to put in P2K E/7 desiel. Far as the brilliance goes I don't know if it is a upgraded model from MRC. But all I can tell you I'm very satisfied with the sound quality. I use a MRC Prodigy Express Squared 2 controler. It is the latest model from MRC and it is 3.5 Amp. It is  very user friendly and you can program on the main track or a program track. I generally run 5 trains at one time on my 12'X14' layout.